After Rain

Started using blender after long while. Out came this.
A comparatively quick render.
Cycles
1000 Passes
Post process in photoshop.

I’d love to hear some suggestions.
Critiques are always welcome.

You have some really nice stuff going here! Good atmosphere and you nicely convey what you’re after.

The lamps seem too large to me. If you’re a traditional 2D artist, you’re probably pretty used to kind of “winging” these sort of things. But in 3D it’s much less forgiving since perspective is so mechanical and rigid - you don’t rely on the same kind of trickery you do with drawing or painting.

Whenever I start a project like this I do a lot of research, you’d be surprised how much stuff, in particular architectural elements, have defined guidelines about height. I also look at references images a lot, and will bring them in as background images and trace polygons over them - there’s really no shame in this at all. I also like to stick with real-world proportions, assuming that each blender unit is a 1-meter.

Another thing, and maybe some people will disagree with me on this - I’d try to get away from Photoshop if you have aspirations as a professional 3D content creator. Outside of Adobe the layer approach isn’t super useful. Instead I’d do more post in either Nuke, Fusion or the Blender compositor, even if it’s just a still image like this. Eventually you might want to edit your sequences, and a proper node-based comp workflow will be better suited than Photoshop or After Effects.

Thank you so much for the input. Its true I’ve worked on 2D for a long while and have been out of touch with 3D designing for a long time. I just started on a rather exhaustive 3D project and these points are going to help me a lot.

I agree perspective seems off now that Ive noticed and I’ll try my best to fix it. I Will look into the standard heights of the components for sure.

I use Photoshop because ive been using it for years but I try to use it as less as I can. I mostly use it for some color correction, minor light tweak and vignette. But I will definitely look into other softwares that you’ve told me.

Thank you so much for the input.
I look forward to hearing from you when I post my next project.

Nice atmosphere!