[Addon] Onion Skin Tools on Blender Market

Hi everyone!

I’ve created an onion skinning addon called Onion Skin Tools that I’ve released recently on the Blender Market. I’ve waited to post anything about it here on BA until I had gotten some feedback from at least a small sample of users. I believe it’s ready to share here.

What does it do?
Onion Skin Tools provides animators with object onion skinning in Blender’s viewport. Visualize the action of your animation instantly without even moving the timeline cursor! No more animating in the blind!

(Image courtesy of pintamonos.cl)

With Onion Skin Tools, you can:

• Generate onion skinning for any mesh-able objects, even entire multiple-object characters or creatures, on arbitrary frames or over a user-defined frame range.
  • Make informed posing decisions! Compare poses on previous and later frames side by side while you pose your character or creature rig on the current frame.
  • Stop guessing! See at a glance the arcs of your action without even changing the current frame.

If you do decide to get it, please don’t hesitate to give feedback via the support section at the product page. Rest assured I’ll try to get back to you in a timely manner and address issues and feature requests to the best of my ability. I won’t respond to support questions or feature requests here, unfortunately.

1 Like

I’m a happy buyer of the add on!
and I encourage every animator to get it, it’s a must have, it’s a better version of bhGhost for maya for those who know it.

I just bought it, of course is a must have for animators.
Thank you!

A new version of Onion Skin Tools is out, which is loaded with some neat new features and enhancements. Get v0.1 on the BlenderMarket. From the changelog:

• Auto Updating - A primary feature of this release! When enabled, Auto Updating will watch for changes to an Updater object (e.g., a character rig armature) and automatically update the onion skinning according to the changes!
  • Transparency Range control - An optional range control has been added to display onion skinning only on frames within a specified range around the current frame as you move through the timeline.
  • Absolute Range mode - A new mode for setting the frame range has been added. Choose Relative (legacy, default) or Absolute. Absolute mode allows you to set specific start and end frames to generate onion skinning (e.g., frames 1 - 100).
  • X-Ray Originals - Quick access toggle for enabling X-Ray draw mode on original objects has been added, which will draw original objects over onion skinning.
  • Backend work - Onion Skin Tools now sports compiled Cython modules for slightly faster onion skinning (re)generation. Currently, compiled modules are only provided for 64-bit Windows / Linux. 32-bit and Mac systems are still supported with pure Python.

How does this even work on the technical side? Are you just creating a bunch of copies of the mesh that is being animated? Are they gonna clog up the Outliner? Could I accidentally click on them while I’m animating? Can I rely on the addon to remove them completely from the scene once they’re not needed anymore? How long do the onion skin meshes usually take to be generated, and will Blender freeze during that time, so basically every time I change a keyframe?

Hi there! That’s the long and the short of it, yep. I initially tried to make an addon that was OpenGL-only; there was a lot of overhead in that approach, and viewport performance lagged considerably. I chose a mesh-based approach in the end because it was faster to generate and view in the viewport.

Are they gonna clog up the Outliner?

The generated meshes do appear in the Outliner. That’s something I’ve been mulling over but haven’t heard any negative feedback about. I’ll likely revise that soon, since I’ve also noticed that I don’t particularly enjoy seeing them all in the Outliner, and possibly simply parent them under an Empty for visual clarity. On the other hand, I find that Blender’s Outliner is almost functionally useless; it’s good for viewing the scene’s hierarchies, and, say, animating an object’s renderable state. If it were Maya’s outliner, I’d have been more concerned about clutter from the get-go… But I’m open to suggestions from users. :slight_smile: If a suggestion is going to make the user experience better, I’ll investigate it!

Could I accidentally click on them while I’m animating?

Nope. Not unless you change its selectable state in the Outliner (oh, you can do that with the Outliner, too) :wink:

Can I rely on the addon to remove them completely from the scene once they’re not needed anymore?

I would say yes, it’s pretty reliable at removing meshes completely from the .blend file. The only issue I’ve seen is an initial 2.77-compatibility one; I addressed that issue pretty quickly, and removal of meshes seems to work flawlessly in 2.77 now as well. Off the top of my head, I can think of one quick change I can implement to make mesh removal even a little more robust. I’ll probably do that tonight, in fact. Thanks for reminding me :slight_smile: Of course, if any issue does arise, I can always talk with a user via the support forum to track down the error and get a fix out.

How long do the onion skin meshes usually take to be generated, and will Blender freeze during that time, so basically every time I change a keyframe?

That really depends on the density of the object(s) being onion skinned, and how many frames are being processed. In general, I wouldn’t suggest, for example, onion skinning all of a 10-second shot and then turning on Auto Update to work on a small segment of that. With a dense character, you’ll likely experience a lot of lag. You’ll get better mileage by onion skinning only the segment you’re working on, using Auto Update to see the changes as you make them, and then removing the onion skinning and moving on to the next. Blender does ‘freeze’ momentarily when generating or re-generating onion skinning, but it hasn’t bothered me yet; and I don’t think I’m too parsimonious with how hard I’m pushing it :slight_smile: I have a moderately dense character that I’ve onion skinned over a frame range of about 20 frames, and it re-generates in a little less than 1 second with Auto Update turned on.

I love it!!! Thank you!