Itamae - Fantasy Submission

Update: Began assembling final scene! Attempting to change thumbnail with this:

Began making assets to string together for the final scene! Here’s what I have so far:

A Japanese paper lantern with lots of procedural texturing (everything but the red/white is procedural)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]492789[/ATTACH]

And the asset I think could use the most improvement out all 3: The main character.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]492791[/ATTACH]
What could I improve on stylistically for the chef? Or for any of the assets? Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

I would love to see some screenshots of the 3D model for the lantern and the materials. it looks really good.
I’m impressed - how did you do the sushi? The right side looks a little washed out - maybe dimm the lighting a little.
The main character looks good but the legs are throwing me off - I keep thinking “where are her feet?”

The sushi rice is something I had a LOT of trouble with. It uses a glassy, refractive surface for camera rays, then switches to a volumetric material. I’ve tried doing stuff with SSS to no avail, and the surface-based approach tends to make the rice too dense. I wanted a “glassy SSS” feeling, so I pretty much had to use refraction+volumetric materials. Luckily, the density doesn’t vary too much within each grain, so I’m using homogenous volumes.
As a slight tweak to that general design, whenever the glossy materials reflect towards other rice, undesirable dark artifacts appear, giving the rice grains dark outlines. As a quick fix, I linked Glossy and Diffuse rays to an SSS material approximating the volumetric approach.

As you may have already picked up, the rice is a simple particle system within a mesh. I have a moderately dense particle system within the volume, and a less dense particle system on the surface. Both have their rotation set to the mesh normal, with a bit of randomness on both axes (about 0.2).

The lantern is a pretty basic sphere shape with a bevel over the ribs and a small indent in between, and the ribs of the lantern are physical meshes created through the wireframe modifier and a set of circle meshes (using wireframe rather than skin allows me to make all the ribs part of one mesh).

As for the main character, thanks for the advice! However, the weird knife legs play in as a major part of the later design, so I’m keeping them as-is (at least for now).

Just made a new asset: a Wasabi swirl!

Time for a progress update! I’ve made a bunch of new assets!

I have a couple more, but I don’t feel the need for feedback on those, and the platter for sushi uses a variation on the wood material for the sake cup.

P.S. if the sake cup’s shape doesn’t look like anything you can find online, that’s intentional. They’re based on a set of cups my family got at a sake tasting in Japan. The wood is very fragrant, and gives the water or sake inside a nice, woody taste.

The scene is finally coming together! Is there anything I can change to improve?