Game Asset Dome

Here is a preview of my current work. It is meant to be a part of a bigger building, perhaps a palace or temple for fantasy RPG game. Although it is highpoly enough to be used in other applications i.e. animation. It can be an arbor or a lantern for a bigger dome. I used my own python script to distribute the roof tiles on a spherical dome then baked it on the roof part of the mesh. My dome tiles generator uses 7 different materials, each one with its own PBR maps like diffuse, albedo, gloss, bump and dirt and every single tile has its uv-map randomly shifted so it never looks the same. The stone parts are textured using texture painting with a stencil image so every edge should be tiling perfectly.

ToDo: add PBR maps and build the rest of the model. Please comment if you have any suggestions, ideas or remarks. Your criticism is welcome.

Here are some examples how does my tile distribution script work. A dome and a cone. The second one does not have multiple materials and shifted uv-maps because it comes from an earlier stage of developement.

And for comparision here is how it is done by railclone:
https://forum.itoosoft.com/index.php?topic=1913.0

Wow you used python to do the tiles? Can you post the code?
My suggestion would be make the tiles perfectly spaced - add a little imperfection. it will add to the realism.
Any ideas on what you’ll use this for?

Hi, Jared, thanks for your remarks.
The code isn’t finished. It needs improvements and for now it even doesn’t do some part of the maths. The input values should be tile lenght, width, height, the lenght of its overlapping section, radius of the dome and in case of a conical roof also its height. Then it should calculate the angle of the first tile from the top, the angle between two adjacent tiles on a cross-section, and a number of tiles on a cross section, but this part is missing. I do the math in an OpenOffice chart and then copy the values to my input fields. My script does only a part of the calculations - the number of tiles on every following level. I just focused on other work and used this addon once.

About posting the code - i need to finish it, improve it. I thing about adding an option of distributing tiles with random width - to make it accurate for creating wooden shingle roofs. I thought to publish it as a proprietary addon along with set of PBR maps for different kind of tiles. The price would be quite affordable - about 3 dollars, but every single coin could help me in developing my skills as an 3D artist. But i’m not sure for now, maybe i’ll publish it on a CC license.

Adding imperfection is good idea - i wonder if is it better to do it via script, or a modifier.

Ideas on what i’ll use this for? As the title of this thread says i’m planning to use it as an game asset in my demo reel. Here is some idea how the final model can look like:

Added some dirt and PBR mapping. Rendered in 2.79 with Principled BSDF.