Loaded a video but unable to 'see' it!

I have tried to use Kdenlive to draw on a video but it did not have the ability to do what I needed, so I did some searching and found that Blender could do what I needed.

I even found a TUTORIAL on YT, however, at the point where I am supposed to ‘see’ the video, I can’t ‘see’ it anywhere! What am I doing wrong?

What part of the tutorial doesnt work for you? Rarely will people watch through 20minute video to make sure their steps are correct.

Ah yes I have had some issues getting the Movie Clip to display in the 3D view as well. Make sure that you are in orthographic mode and looking from a cardinal axis, use 7 for overhead, 1 for front and 3 for side view. You can also select Image (instead of movie) and load a film clip instead of an image.

It’s a common “gotcha” that background doesn’t show up in perspective view, tripped me up a couple of times.

It’s about half way through, 10:00 mins.

The guy in the tutorial also had the same problem, in the tutorial he was following, it said to use ‘3’ on the numeric keypad, he figured out it was ‘7’ instead.

Well, don’t kee me in suspenders, please tell me how you sorted it!

I am doing it right, loading a video and actually selecting ‘video’ and not trying to do it with a picture.

Here’s the project file (with video) and I’m including the config file so, hopefully you will see what I’m up against…

enyi & Louie Playing.blend (471 KB) (Bit of a typo, it should read Benji & Loui Playing)
userpref.blend (112 KB)

If needed, I am currently uploaing the actual video file to my MS OneDrive as it was too big to upload here.

Here’s the link to the video
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhUu8owShqjAk1FbAFp2mvXaJLti

It was just a case of being in “ortho” view, not perspective. Shortcut is ‘5’ on the numpad. I fell over that issue with just a single image myself only the other day then realised I was in persp view.

BTW, in your files, there’s no project file, it’s just html/xml code.

EDIT:
Here’s a small blend file with a movie clip loaded and shown as the camera background. In theory, all you need to do is substitute your movie clip for the one I used to test this via the movie clip node in the node editor.
At present the bottom right viewport shows the camera. Press either ‘7’, ‘3’, or ‘1’ on he numpad to change the view with the mouse over the viewport, notice the background disappears. Now press ‘5’ on the numpad, the clip reappears, toggle ‘5’ again and it disappears. Press numpad ‘0’ to return to camera view.

Compare my scene to yours and see if you can spot any obvious differences, it’s a very basic scene.

Attachments

MovieClip_Bg.blend (1.05 MB)

I’ve re-uploaded the files, uncompressed.

EDIT:
Here’s a small blend file with a movie clip loaded and shown as the camera background. In theory, all you need to do is substitute your movie clip for the one I used to test this via the movie clip node in the node editor.
At present the bottom right viewport shows the camera. Press either ‘7’, ‘3’, or ‘1’ on he numpad to change the view with the mouse over the viewport, notice the background disappears. Now press ‘5’ on the numpad, the clip reappears, toggle ‘5’ again and it disappears. Press numpad ‘0’ to return to camera view.

Compare my scene to yours and see if you can spot any obvious differences, it’s a very basic scene.

Thanks for that, I’ll have a go at swapping the video.

I’ve loaded in your .blend file and substituted my video and, before (and after I did that), there’s an ‘X’ in the ‘Scene’ pane!

n00b ALERT!

Now I’ve got this far, how do I advance frames or play the video so I can draw on the frames!

I got the ‘x’ but the video background did show, not quite sure why the ‘X’ stays ther eas it normally means it can’t find the image. I have just loaded your video and it came up in the compositor window, I just had to ensure the background image in the camera view was changed to reflect the new video.
Had a look at your file, I see you were doing it in the movie clip editor, that accounts for me doing things differently, I just loaded it directly into the compositor via the node editor window.

I was doing it the same as you but found somewhere the other way (movie clip, as you mentioned) which was n good for what I needed. I don’t know how it ended up like that and not the way you sent me.

Blender normally has a couple of ways of doing something, it’s just finding what actually works best for you. Fif you manage to get the backdrop to appear? I had a bit of a hiccup, but then went to node->Toggle Node preview (Shift H), in the node editor and that sorted it. There as so many options within it that I still don’t use or understand. Could probably spend a lifetime learning it :slight_smile:

The biggest hurdle is actually knowing what Blender can actually do.

It can do so much, it’s mind boggling. As someone who used PovRay, it amazes me this power is available for free. :slight_smile: