Blender 2.80 update

Hello,

i have downloaded Blender 2.8 in order to benefit from the new principal shader.
However 2.8 is a bit different than 2.7. First of all shading modes like texture, solid, material grid are missing.
But that is not the real problem i have…
What is missing is that i cant convert a nurbs object into a mesh. Blender automatically shuts down.
And i cannot open the file from 2.78, or import append objects from there to 2.7

I would like to go on with my work but 2.8 is in my way.
What can i do to go on???

Blender 2.80 is still in early development. You should not be expecting anything in it to be working correctly. You should only really be using it for testing purposes

Hi Mitochondrium, 2.8 is not even alpha status and many things are not working or break backward compatibility.
Don´t use it for serious/production work, anything can change in a week and you lost all work.
Principled shader is also in upcoming 2.79, use buildbot > https://builder.blender.org/download/

Cheers, mib
EDIT: Oooops, to slow. :slight_smile:

thank you all…
No way to save the file??? SH…T!!

I need HELP.

Is there really no way to restore or reform the file???
The file is so important to me…

Maybe the warning message on buildbot website should be bigger and blinking, or something like that :frowning:

You try to reconstruct the scene opening a Blender 2.7 instance and by ‘Append’ components from the scene you saved from Blender 2.8. You make sure to append only objects belonging to 2.7 (no lights probes for example), and I’m not sure if it will allow you to append materials where you have modified with 2.8 shaders for example, maybe you should delete 2.8 nodes first.

Edit:
Apparently this allows append 2.8 materials, it just shows nodes like “Undefined”

YAFU u are my hero. Thank you!
I think i have read the warning.
But you never know what you are going to create on a good saturday evening.
Thank you again.
:yes:

so i have another question…
when i install 2.78 on my PC is it going to overwrite 2.73 or 2.8 which i have on it? or the files?
I am not so sure on this one.

dont install. just get the ZIP which you can launch from anywhere. the settings are split by version.

I’ve been meaning to ask, what is the estimated release time Blender 2.8? Because that new principal shader looks pretty useful.

Principled BSDF will be in 2.79, it is currently in 2.79 rc1:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.79

See “2.79 Test builds” link.