Cycles in the next version of Rhino

It seems Cycles will be incorporated into the next version of Rhino. As a user of both Blender and Rhino, I am very exciting about this development.

http://www.studiorola.com/news/cycles-render-in-rhino-6-wip/

IMO, Cycles could pose a serious competition to external renderers such as Vray for Rhino.

Once they fork off the code, they end up falling behind the Blender original. For example, will they incorporate the new Principled BSDF?

It is not they. It is a long time blender man McNeel has hired for the work. Nathan Letwory. He knows where it comes from.

Since cycles can be compiled for standalone I don’t think that will have to be a problem, but they might have to keep updating their integration to keep up with new features. (But that’s the same for all renderers.)

I hate to be so negative but McNeel really should stop wasting resources on this project. 99% of people use Vray and Keyshot for their renderings with Rhino anyway. There is not exactely a big community crying for yet another renderer for Rhino.
Instead they should focus on shortening the developement of the actual software. Version 5 is the most recent one and that was released 5 YEARS AGO! And no release date for version 6 yet. I know they are a small company but then why do they waste so much resources on cycles which no one will use apart from a handful of enthusiasts?
McNeel, Autodesk is eating your lunch and you better hurry up and release a new Version with a ton of new modelling features. Because that is what people use Rhino for: modelling, not rendering.

Because it’s a better renderer than anything they’ve currently got?

No one uses their current render engine and no one will use cycles because there are already a bunch of options available that are deeply integrated into the respecitve industrie’s workflows like Keyshot or Vray. No one will switch to Cycles. Rhino is not a 3D suite like blender but mainly a modelling software. They would be wise to cut out any sort of render engine completely and just focus on modelling. If someone really wants to use Cycles they can always import to Blender and find a perfect integration of it. Just imagine how mindbogglingly dated today’s Cycles will be in 2022 when they release Rhino 7.

I disagree. I come from a 300+ employees company doing their bulk of rendering from rhino.
And the integration with vray is really not very good. Very buggy although they are working heavily on it. We had a meeting with some of the developers.
Better integration with blender would be awesome for animations and advanced renders, but to be able to preview rendering in rhino directly with same render engine is a gold time saver during design phases.
Rendering in rhino is absolutely an asset.

Fair enough. I work in industrial design and there Keyshot is pretty much industry standard. I never saw someone attempting to use the built-in Rhino-renderer ever. I saw people use Neon, though, which is like a fairly usable, free third party renderengine very well integrated into rhino.
I don’t know your industry, but if you say it is so, then I believe you. I do wonder, what do you guys use it for? The technology of the Rhino internal seems to be stuck in 2008 and the effort to get something usable out of it seems to be way out of proportion. Even Blender internal is much more capable.

That’s also still my main concern. Whatever they output once Rhino 6 will be released will have to last for 5-6 years if Mcneel keeps up their developement cycle. Modellingfeatures usually age quite well, renderengines that don’t get updated constantly don’t. I just think about how cycles will look like a pile of shit after 5 years without improvements.

Ah. I see I was not making myself clear. We do not use rhino render. We use vray. I see how that was not clear from how I wrote. Sorry about that.
Anyway I m an architect. Interior and exterior shots are part of my design toolbox.
The thing is that cycles is not ported to rhino but is integrated so when cycles for blender evolves the same can be reused for rhino.
And cycles is getting a lot of attention these past years.

I have good faith in Rhino… although the development time is long. Each new version is rock solid.

As for Cycles, it will be very useful because it can easily replace the default renderer. I have already started using Cycles for Rhino… for some of my work and it works great. I do not have to export to Keyshot or work with Vray which dun really integrate well as of the last version. I can’t speak of the latest version of Vray for rhino though.

But will McNeel constantly update the integration and add all the new features Blender is getting? Will the whole node based shader aspect even be ported at all? I honestly doubt it because they have a pretty bad track record of updates.

@Simpo, I agree, McNeel delivers extremly stable rock solid software and takes care of it. That’s why 5 years later Rhino 5 is still usable. But what they are NOT very good at is delivering the latest and greatest cutting edge stuff. When I do rendering I want the latest and greatest stuff. Sure, as it stands today Cycles is by leaps and bound better than anything they offered before (internally, that is), but will it be better than Keyshot 8 in a year from now? Or better than Vray 4? That’s my concern, so I’d rather see them finish the damn Software instead of adding more bells and whistles.

I agree that McNeel is not the fastest rabbits in the fold. They guard release plans better than apple guards the images of the next iPhone.
But anyway cycles shaders are already being implemented.
Checkout Nathan Letworys YouTube channel. It’s awesome. It’s through grasshopper interface.

Wow cool thanks.

Found this …