Railgun. Please Critique.

Hi guys I’m relatively new here. I’ve been using blender for about 2 years and this is my first project back in about six months. I recently got a new pc so I made this as a way of clearing out the cob webs and testing the new rig.

It’s a Victorian styled railgun based on a concept. It had no name on it but credit to the artist who concept this is based off.

Wow, nice gun.
Modeling looks great, the texturing could have some improvements I think.
Personally the shininess of the brass looks kinda off. I think this is because the gloss is quite uniform and the only surface imperfections seem to be some large scrathes.
Maybe if you would add some smaller more subtle imperfection, the shininess would be more realistic.
Also the area under the scope seems to have some relief, but it is hard to see what is going on there, maybe you could make this a bit clearer.
But overal a really nice render, I love the ground from the third plane as well.

Thanks for your feedback mate. Texturing is definitely my weak point atm. The reason for the large scratch is I’m going to put if into a scene. It’s going to be a battle scarred trophy

I’m not saying the large scratches are wrong, they are ok, especially when you want it to be battle scarred. But I think you could add some extra smaller surface imperfections. If you want a battel scarred look, using the pointiness input might work well to create damage or influence the rougness of the glossy shader.

You also seem to have a strange lighting setup which lights up some parts of the gun much more than others, like the brass on the front of the gun from the first render, maybe a more overall lighting setup will make the model look a bit more balanced.

As appie.123 already say the model itself is really great, the texturing is not bad but only too “clean”, specially if you want it as a scarred trophy, the lighting is too strong in some part and burn out the shinyest part of the model but the presentation of the model is very good in general.
I would only add a little dirt/dust to the model and adjust a little the roughness of the metal parts.
Great work anyway!

thanks guys i appreciate the feedback