BlackMagic Fusion 9 is out!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/

And the Studio version can now be purchased for a mere $299, down from $995. Nuke, eat your heart out.

Great new features include:

• VR support
  • Camera tracking(!)
  • Planar tracking, planar rotoscoping
  • new Delta Keyer
  • GPU OpenCL acceleration for many of the tools.
  • new playback engine, multi-shot timeline, storyboards, version tracking, annotation notes, etc.
  • DNxHR, MXF and FFMpeg support for seamlessly transferring shots between DaVinci Resolve, Fusion and other applications.

The free version doesn’t include the new tracking tools or new playback engine, and is limited to UHD export.

Wow. This is amazing news. 299$ is extremely competitive.

That is amazing!

The thing that bothered me a bit about Fusion is:
a) It’s so poorly documented, especially when it comes to scripting
b) Network rendering was a bit of a conundrum. However unlimited network rendering for that price… mind blown
c) Questionable .ofx support. I need decent DOF (e.g frischluft) and motionblur (e.g RSMB). They better work as .ofx

The only question I REALLY HAVE is how to buy the darn thing online. You press BUY NOW and it leads you to resellers filled with hardware. Surely it cannot be that hard. I’ll keep digging, but someone who’s been there, shine some light on it please.

I assume it’s so new that the shops have not put it on their shops yet.

I’ve downloaded it from here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion

I can confirm that my OFX versions of NeatVideo and FilmConvert Pro work well inside Fusion 9 Studio.

is there any difference between the free version of Fusion 8 and Fusion 9?

Greetings
Kai

The new Fusion 9 is pretty snappy and responive. I just can’t stand the way their nodes/node graph works. I stick with Nuke/Natron.

It’s matter of very few clicks to make their nodes work exactly like in nuke or natron. But unlike Nuke, Fusion is reasonably priced and its free version can be used for commercial work. And unlike Natron, Fusion is actually well performing and feature-complete compositing package that can get a real work done.

These will set the flow up to work like Nuke for new comps. Same settings can be set up for existing comps by right click context menu over the flow.