armature motion blur ?

Hi guys
I was wondering if motion blur of rigged objects had been implemented in cycles?
My tests on a swimming fish don’t seem to work.
I have only found old topics on the web and no recent answer to this kind of problem.
Thx in advance

Fred Hystair

It works out of the box, there’s nothing you need to do (besides checking ‘motion blur’. 2 things to know:

1. if using default keyframing the very first frame will not have much motion on it, the fastest motion will be halfway between 2 keyframes.
  2. Only full f12 renders will show blur, not viewport renders.

Yep, that’s was I thought!
I have a scene here where this feature doesn’t seem to work, or am I missing something ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hzq0o8t68w040o/Mblur%20test.blend?dl=0
I’m using the 2.78C version on Win10.
Fred

It’s working it’s just that the rigged object isn’t moving very fast, if you increase the shutter to 3.0 you can see the motion blur:

OMG
I feel soooo stupid !
I expected a greater influence of the bone’s motion.
Thanks Photox for your help!
Fred

Also – I’ve found that vector blur … or sometimes just blurring … is very effective and much less computationally expensive. Especially with BI, where it actually calculates frames multiple times (and, inexplicably, does not remember them for use in the next frame of an animation), motion blur can be very costly for relatively little benefit (IMHO) versus other, much cheaper approaches.

Blur is sometimes Brylcreem … “a little dab’ll do ya.” (See this VINTAGE 1965 BRYLCREEM COMMERCIAL for a little fun.)

I understand now why i had trouble with my scene. The blocky rectangles was just a dummy to test the feature on my file.
I.m actually working on a scene involving a big fish and could not understand why motion blur was broken, no matter what shutter setting i used.
It turns out that i was working in experimental feature set because i use microdisplacement. Apparently, in experimental mode, motion blur is broken for rigged meshes. I don’t know if this bug is well known and if it will be corrected in 2.79. Any info on that?
yours
Fred hystair