Blender 2.78 - Mint 17 - Nvidia GTX 550TI - NO CUDA

Hello everyone,

All is in the title, I have the last version of Blender but I’m not able to play with CUDA.
If I go to the preferences > System.

As Cycles compute Device, I just have “NONE” !

Here my specs :

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti]

I have already got that issue but that was long time ago and now the problem happens again.
I guess It’s because I wanted to update the Nvidia drivers, which was finally a mistake because I finally still use old drivers.

I use the nvidia-370 drivers, for some reasons, when I want to update the GPU with newest drivers, Linux Mint tells me that It has to run in fallback mode because It has crashed…

I have tried to run blender as superuser, but that doesn’t work neither.
I really appreciate Linux systems, but honestly, when it comes to deal with Nvidia drivers, that’s a pain… I often have issues with it !

Does anybody can guide me to find a solution please, If I could simply use Blender with CUDA, even with the older drivers, that would be great.

Hi.
Maybe some CUDA toolkit packages were uninstalled when you tried to update driver?
I assume you installed Blender from repositories. If so, Blender from repositories does not include precompiled CUDA kernels.
You download official Blender 2.78 tar.bz2 file from here:

Open file manager in Mint. Extract to new folder the tar.bz2 file you downloaded. Open Blender by entering to this new folder and executing ‘blender’ file (double click).
Now you tell me if you can see GPU compute options in official Blender.

If it still does not work, please paste here what you get with this commands:

To see if the nvidia driver is being used:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version

Installed packages:

sudo dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
cat: /proc/driver/nvidia/version: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

That means that such a directory or file doesn’t exist.

If I use the find command to search for that folder here is what I have for your information.

sudo find / -type d -name "nvidia"

/lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia
/lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/nvidia
/var/lib/dkms/nvidia-370/370.28/build/nvidia
/usr/lib/nvidia
/usr/share/nvidia
/usr/src/nvidia-370-370.28/nvidia
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic/include/config/fb/nvidia
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24/drivers/video/nvidia
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24/drivers/net/ethernet/nvidia

Here is the results for the installed packages :

ii  bbswitch-dkms                               0.7-2ubuntu1                                             amd64        Interface for toggling the power on nVidia Optimus video cards
rc  libcuda1-304-updates                        304.131-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                 amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  libcuda1-340                                340.96-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                  amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  libcuda1-352-updates                        352.63-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                  amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  libcuda1-355                                355.11-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.2                               amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  libcuda1-358                                358.16-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.2                               amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
ii  libcuda1-370                                370.28-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.3                               amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  libcuda1-375                                375.82-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1                               amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  libcuda1-381                                381.22-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.2                               amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  libcuda1-384                                384.59-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1                               amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  nvidia-304                                  304.131-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                 amd64        NVIDIA legacy binary driver - version 304.131
rc  nvidia-304-updates                          304.131-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                 amd64        NVIDIA legacy binary driver - version 304.131
rc  nvidia-352-updates                          352.63-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                  amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 352.63
rc  nvidia-355                                  355.11-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.2                               amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 355.11
rc  nvidia-358                                  358.16-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.2                               amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 358.16
ii  nvidia-370                                  370.28-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.3                               amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 370.28
rc  nvidia-375                                  375.82-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1                               amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 375.82
rc  nvidia-381                                  381.22-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.2                               amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 381.22
rc  nvidia-384                                  384.59-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1                               amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 384.59
rc  nvidia-opencl-icd-304-updates               304.131-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                 amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
rc  nvidia-opencl-icd-352-updates               352.63-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                  amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
rc  nvidia-opencl-icd-355                       355.11-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.2                               amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
rc  nvidia-opencl-icd-358                       358.16-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.2                               amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
ii  nvidia-opencl-icd-370                       370.28-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.3                               amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
rc  nvidia-opencl-icd-375                       375.82-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1                               amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
rc  nvidia-opencl-icd-381                       381.22-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.2                               amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
rc  nvidia-opencl-icd-384                       384.59-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1                               amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
ii  nvidia-prime                                0.6.2.1linuxmint1                                        amd64        Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
ii  nvidia-settings                             384.59-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1                               amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

You have installed the corresponding packages to the nvidia driver, but apparently the driver is not being loaded. What happens when you try to open nvidia-settings graphical interface? Some message appear or does it look different from what you were used to seeing?
I had read some time ago that in Mint sometimes had to manually put Nouveau on the blacklist and a few other things. I am not sure which state this is currently in. Anyway, I do not understand why they do not directly use Ubuntu driver management system which works quite well.

This happened to me once, and I did have to add some line to grub or somewhere which effectively said don’t use nouvea, it was something like: noveau modeset 0, or nouveau.modeset=0

If you mean the driver manager, It’s still the same as It used the be. Although I remember I had a driver mentionned as recommanded sometimes ago, which isn’t the case anymore.

I never go within nvidia settings, so I can’t tell you more about that.

Here is a screenshot of the windows we are talking about.

I’m honestly lost, and I must admit that I’m often unsure of what I really should do when it comes to the Nvidia drivers with Mint.
You are sometimes asked to update these ones, but that often doesn’t work correctly (At least from my experience).

If I understand it well, the idea is to disable nouveau by setting its value to zero right ?

Do you think I could run the following command without breaking everything ?
That’s going to remove it, but I guess I can as I’m using Nvidia drivers now.

sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

Have you asked over on the Mint forums? Been a while since I used Mint, but when I did there were a few regulars (I used to be one of them) who could troubleshoot and solve hardware/driver problems, and Clem was always very much in attendance and could help.

As I say, long time (4 - 5 years) since I used Mint, so I don’t know the current state of play.

I especially recommend the IRC channels, since help there is practically real time. You can find Mint IRC (I assume it hasn’t changed) by firing up xchat, which should be pre-configured to connect.

EDIT: If Thistlewood and chattr are still around, send them my regards :slight_smile:

I was referring to the window on the right, it definitely looks like when nvidia driver has not been loaded.
It is a recurring problem in Mint, you do this search on Google:

mint nvidia nouveau site:forums.linuxmint.com

The point is, the user should not have to correct this manually, it is risky. So that should have been reported to Mint responsible people. It is also true that you are apparently using an old version of Mint, and perhaps the problem has already been solved.
This should be as easy as: If you install nvidia driver packages, the system uses nvidia driver. If you uninstall nvidia driver, the system uses nouveau driver. And so automatically without user intervention.

You see if you can find anything useful with google results.
But you should ask in Mint forum better.

Edit:
Better do not run this command to unisntall nouveau, you could run out of the graphical interface. Ask in Mint forum please.

I totally agree, but often (from my own experience), It seems a bit risky when you want to install the latest nvidia driver, at least with Mint.
Also, I haven’t moved to Linut Mint 18 because as far as I know Mint 17will be supported till 2019.

Thank you again for your advices, once I have the solution, I will try to not forget to put the answer here.

Thanks again to everyone and the time you 've given me :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t remove nouveau like that, for one thing I think you’re using it! It could be like running: rm -rf