External SSD question

Hey guys

was thinking about getting this external SSD -

looks pretty good but quick question. If I am working on my laptop for e.g. And I save my blender project to the SSD, including everything from materials, blender files etc then when I go home, can I plug this SSD into my desktop and continue working on my project please?
would this work ok and do you think the SSD would be fast enough?
my desktop and laptop are pretty decent systems but just wanted to know if any of you guys work this way please and if any negatives.
many thanks for any info.

anyone please?

That’ll be great. An SSD is probably overkill though considering your use case.
That or any spinning disk HDD from a decent brand like WD will be fine(and I seriously doubt you’d notice any performance difference between the types).

thank you so much for the reply. so an external SSD won’t be that much faster than an external HDD?
i will be using premier pro and after effects as well so i guess it should help eh?

i know you said its overkill but i won’t be copying over my blender files, i will be leaving them on the SSD and opening them from there. Would this work please?

Hi, your systems need USB 3 at least to get the maximal performance, better USB 3.1.
The drive read about ten times faster than a standard HDD but you loose all performance with USB 2.
Cant find information about write speed but WD mention 515MB/s, I think this is reading performance.
USB 3 limit this to ~300MB/s, USB 2 to ~40MB/s, USB 3.1 is faster than the SSD.

Cheers, mib

Thank you for replying.
yeah both the SSD and my desktop and laptop support USB 3.1 so it should be fine right?

I recently broke my external spinning plates disk when it hit in a small fall while it was in use connected to the pc.
So, the only reason I would spend 6 times more money on a ssd drive is for security and more robustness reasons. I guess that ssd is more shock resistant, but it’s something you should research by searching in internet.

Still I do not have much money, so no way I would spend 6 times more on a ssd, I would be just a little more careful with an ordinary spinning plates disk :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reply Yafu. I think SSD is also faster as well as being safer.

How big are the blender files you’re planning to copy? :slight_smile:
Really, I do not think that speed makes much difference to the use you say you are going to give it. Also, have ssd drives the other machines where you plan to use the external drive?. I’m not sure here either, but I guess the speed will be limited by the speed of the slowest disk.

Anyway, if the SSDs are really robust and shock resistant and you have the money, then SSD is worth it.

I am not copying the files Yafu, I am using the external SSD as the main drive where I will save my blender file to (including all assets), then I will have this plugged into my laptop at work then when I get home I can plug the SSD into my desktop and continue my work.