Batch Generate Previews Not Working

Hi all,

I want to generate Image Previews for my assets in a blend file. So I go to File->Data Previews->Batch Generate Previews, then Blender seems to be doing something and returns me to the main screen. I save the file and then exit. Then I try to append my assets to another file but I get no image previews for my assets… Any idea what went wrong or what I’m missing? I even tried to generate previews for the Default Cube but I still get nothing. I tried both Cycles and BI but still nothing… I’m running blender 2.78c.

Save the file BEFORE you generate batch previews,. Once you save the file, it’s changed and so the previews are discarded.

I can’t get this to work in 2.83 alpha either, Linux Mint. The manual indicate the batch version should take care of it for external files, no saving of files should be necessary. To me it seems it’s doing absolutely nothing.
Batch generate preview doesn’t touch the file date modified, it doesn’t seem to add any data, and when I append, not the blend or anything within has any previews. If I open the file and save it, only the blend gets a preview, but nothing inside. With it open, I have to use Refresh Data-Block-Previews and resave the file.
So what exactly is this supposed to work? And how do I actually batch generate previews? Am I missing something, or is it completely broken?

Same thing here with 2.83.3, Blender doesn’t generate any previews.

Bug resolved https://developer.blender.org/T79031 for 2.83.4 I guess.