Weekly Nano Game #4

The BGMC 25 is in about a week from this post so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a 4-hour game challenge to get warmed up for the big competition.

The challenges have been really informal so far so maybe we can get this rolling again.

Anyway, let’s see what happens.

http://s.mmgo.io/t/sM1
You have four hours between now and when the timer stops.
Make a game using one of the themes:

The theme is fast

How you Participate:
Post your WIP in the this thread, and put your finished game in the finished game forums with the prefix [WNG].
There is no contest, this is just for developers to practice working to deadlines and encourage more games to be made but mostly just to have fun.

[B]Rules:

• Premade Assets are allowed, but must be used legally (ie CC licencing)
  • The game should be made in a blender-integrated engine (BGE, UPBGE, BDX, blenderpanda, Armoury)
  • The source for the game should be made available.
  • Multiple submissions are allowed, but four hours each.

[B]Suggested Development Timeline:

• Sunday: Design your game based one one (or more) of the themes[I]
  • Week-days: Spend half-an-hour in the evenings working on your game[I]
  • Saturday: You have an hour and a half to finish it off![/I][/I][/B][/B]

Oh, keen. Pity I’m going away this week, but I think I’ll have four hours this weekend. Time to grab out my book of game concepts.

I decided to make a game. Uploading a gameplay then I’ll make the thread soon.

Edit:
Made the thread.
YouTube is being a pain.

Concept art:

Yes, I suck at perspective…

Hilariously, I’m also going Vaporwave, with my entire game being based off this album cover:

One hour in, and the main asset (the player) is done. I’ll spend another half hour on assets (probably obstacles), and then will have 2.5 hours for coding.

I need to find me a good bloom script.
I also need to figure out what the player is going to be doing in this game - I mean, besides flying towards the light.

@sdfgeoff, This is the bloom script I use:

uniform sampler2D bgl_RenderedTexture;
void main()
{
vec4 sum = vec4(0);
vec2 texcoord = vec2(gl_TexCoord[0]);
int i;
int j;
for( i= -5 ;i < 5; i++)
{
for (j = -4; j < 4; j++)
{
sum += texture2D(bgl_RenderedTexture, texcoord + vec2(j-5, i)*0.004) * 0.02 * (j +5);
}
}
gl_FragColor = sum*sum*0.010 + texture2D(bgl_RenderedTexture, texcoord);
}

Adrians Netlis actually wrote an amazing bloom script that we used in a game we worked on but I don’t think he released it. What was amazing about it is that it only bloomed bright materials and the bloom was very clean and efficient.

The first in-game shots. I am now ~2.5 hours in (I am screen-capturing the development and plan to upload it to youtube when it’s all finished). I now have 1.5 hours to add in death/health, sounds and possibly a HUD of some sort.

The trail script I wrote a few months back and is publicly available here.

I think if I were to do this game properly I’d come up with a different method for the obstacles (deforming the ground), but time is limited here, so placing objects randomly it is.

That is looking amazing so far