Critique my Gun

So this is my first attempt at a game-ready SciFi gun. The concept/modeling/texturing is all done by me.

Ended up having 24k tris. Took roughly a week to finish.
If you want to know more about how the weapon “works” just let me know.
I’ll also be making a handgun version of this concept and maybe even an assault rifle as well.

I want this gun to be on a somewhat close level to standard professional game weapons.
Any advice/critique/opinions are really appreciated!

Design can only really fully be judged by the degree to which the result fits the brief/intended function. Sometimes its making up this brief and/or thinking of the function it needs to perform that generates interesting designs. When I look at this gun, the things that spring to mind are that it is obviously light based if it has a glass barrel… but must have some reason to have this exposed. the overall silouette shape is quite simple, so I assume it is designed to slide into a holder or sheath like a knife. The front half of the barrel looks like it could be a telescoping mechanism quite easily.

Anyway, from an aesthetic point of view, I feel the thing thats missing a bit is recurrent shapes. the little blue insets on the barrel could echo the shape of the glass piece… and you could get more of an 80/20 feel out of your spacing as the detail feels a little even throughout. Have a look here if you want a great tut on this kind of design (this guy has designed a LOT for Unreal Tournament)

http://www.autodestruct.com/thumbwar.htm

I think you’re doing a great job of keeping the materials aesthetically consistent across the whole gun, which helps give it that professional look. However, the design and overall feel is a little…quiet, for lack of a better word. I could see this currently as a prop for some generic extras, but it doesn’t have a very distinct personality that would work for a main asset. I’d recommend playing with the silhouette of the gun—right now it’s a pretty simple rectangular shape. Think about iconic weapons, like an AK-47 or the Halo Needler, which would both be quickly recognizable just by a rough black-and-white silhouette. Try exaggerating the scale and shape of certain bits, like the scope or the stock. Also, you might get some new ideas by considering the ergonomics of the gun—how do you hold it when firing? when running? Where do you put your nondominant hand?

Good luck!

24k tris? Too much vertices! I bet you can create a low poly version that almost looks the same!
Nice gun! Have a nice day!
P.S.: Maybe the glass could glow! It would look cool in dark levels!