Substance Painter normal baking artifacts

Hi

I have a model (High poly & Low poly) exported as FBX from Blender 2.78 to be textured in Substance Painter , the problem is whenever I bake the normal map for the model and use a metal material (basic material just metal at 1 and roughness at 0 ) it looks fine in the view port , but when I render an image (in Iray or Cycles) some artifacts appear .

I tried to increase the resolution for the baking as well as the final output normal map , but that does not help .

I created a simple scene to show the problem .

here is the High & Low poly model file : Low & High.zip (493 KB)

this how it looks in Substance Painter real-time view port vs how it looks in Iray & Cycles :

I hope you get this figured out. I looked at your meshes ,but can’t make any sense out of them. Are they the right ones? Can’t tell if it’s the same by looking at your pic.

yes they are the same I just zoomed in to show the artifacts , and sorry I forgot to increase the frontal distance when baked the normal map .

I updated the original photo .

The output gets triangulated in Substance Painter, if you’re not triangulating the mesh in Blender you might have a mismatch in how the vertices ended up. You could try triangulating the mesh in Blender before exporting it to Substance Painter, that way you’re certain that they ended up the same way.

I just tried to triangulate the mesh and export and bake ,but unfortunately the output in substance painter still different from what it looks in blender , thank you for the response .

Have you tried to export your file as obj? There might be a problem with FBX?

Yes I did , but the artifacts still there .

Are you baking normal map in Substance Painter?
Is it happening to just the bottom two that has the flatter bottoms?

Yes I’m baking in Substance Painter .

No , it happens to any high to low poly normal map baking .

This happens because of the 16bit to 8 bit compression.

It’s unavoidable, but has ways to smooth the artifact out such as dithering.

Another way to eliminate/minimize such issue is to control your lowpoly mesh’s vertex normals. For the flat surface you can assign a custom flat normal to them, this way the flat faces will have minimal artifact.

Thank you ,the compression is the cause of the artifacts as you said .

The artifact gone when I exported 16 bit map and rendered an image in cycles .