Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally Posted by bigbad View Post
    They are all one big tile.
    then test with 256x256 tiles on newer builds and show new results.

paid devs get more than 2000€ per month and none of them did 3 features in a cycle (6 month = 12 000€) And you hope to get all of this for 5€? My point was to give you the last features working on GCN 1.0 but as fast as latest master.
    Those who are not paid do it for fun, but there is no fun fixing broken code. Even paid devs don't want to fix it.
    Some people here really thinks santa claus exist.

GCN1 cards are blacklisted due to the old AMD OpenCL compiler, it refuses to compile split kernel, and is just too buggy. GCN2 and newer use the new compiler - on windows and linux. So fixing GCN1 would mean writing a new OpenCL C compiler, or modifying the current LLVM.

On my card 7870 Radeon, Cycles does not render on 2.79 RC1. How to fix this issue with the compiler?
    Last edited by soul; 14-Aug-17 at 04:53.

Originally Posted by Nirved View Post
    GCN1 cards are blacklisted due to the old AMD OpenCL compiler, it refuses to compile split kernel, and is just too buggy. GCN2 and newer use the new compiler - on windows and linux. So fixing GCN1 would mean writing a new OpenCL C compiler, or modifying the current LLVM.
    I can give you 5 to write a compiler And that's already too much asking, you should do it for free becoz Blender is free!

@Soul Yes. To know which cards are which generation, you can look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...HD_7000_Series

Originally Posted by bliblubli View Post
    Would you be ready to pay 5€ to get an optimized build for GCN 1.0 cards?
    Originally Posted by bliblubli View Post
    paid devs get more than 2000€ per month and none of them did 3 features in a cycle (6 month = 12 000€) And you hope to get all of this for 5€? My point was to give you the last features working on GCN 1.0 but as fast as latest master.
    Those who are not paid do it for fun, but there is no fun fixing broken code. Even paid devs don't want to fix it.
    Some people here really thinks santa claus exist.
    - 5€ build was your idea

- correct me if I'm wrong, but denoising, principled bsdf and filmic were supported on
    GCN 1 cards in a series of nightly builds from maybe a month ago
    All I want is one of those builds NOT A NEW OpenCL COMPILER
    @bliblubli nobody is asking you to fix broken code

hi, thanks for all the great replies and feedback about 2.79 addons.
    it means a lot to the addons team as we worked hard to bring you the 2.79 addons release.
    thanks especially to lijenstina for the back up and support and to the Blender devs for allowing us an extra slice of freedom to celebrate the end of the 2.7 series.

I too have 'lost' my gpu in 2.79
    I have 2 amd hd 7850's in my exon case...
    To be honest i never used the gpu much or to it's advantage, as i really do like osl textures and the extra power they provide.
    I must say I'm impressed by the denoiser, I can at minimum half my sample count, which makes rendering faster by far than what i was used to.
    I'm just looking at the picture, "ok, lost my gpu, but gained denoise and speedups" i guess there's a compromise there somewhere...

enjoy 2.79, keep testing and providing feedback!
    not far until release now

First of all take this as workaround that is :
    1) Not supported by Blender developers if your card was disabled. Do not post bug reports and be aware that is a hack
    2) limited to only cards working with 2.78.5 prior to the disabling patch. If you card didn't work then it'll probably not work now
    3) not any guarantee to work or continue working in the future ( for instance changing drivers updating the OS etc different scenes), the risk of it is on the user

Start Blender from the command line with the -d parameter.
    In the 3D Viewport Press CTRL+ ALT + D and type 256 in the pop up > press OK.
    A Debug Panel will show up in the Properties > Render. In it, choose Split Kernel and GPU from the drop down lists in the OpenCL Flags section.

opencl_gcn1_workaround.jpg

Now go to your User Preferences > System set the Cycles Compute Device to OpenCL. Next time you have to run Blender with -d parameter and do and do the Ctrl+alt+D pop up again. Optionally, you can run blender with --debug-value 256 which will set debug flag to 256 on start.
    As this is a debug option, nothing is guaranteed.

The only real solution is to consider upgrading the GPU in the future (when the Bitcoin mining cr*p sizzles down) as the developers said that there are serious software problems for older GCN architecture.

I have a suggestion for the future.
    I would like that CUDA and OpenCL unifies on the more abstract level similar what Kronos group did with Vulkan, so that framework doesn't require you to have this special GPU unit,GPU specs or compiler type.

Though that would require combined work of AMD and Nvidia, which would imply to put aside financial aspect of the competitive GPU market and look toward scientific and technological progression.

@soul: OpenCL is exactly that, it is a vendor-neutral compute API from Khronos.

Originally Posted by skw View Post
    @soul: OpenCL is exactly that, it is a vendor-neutral compute API from Khronos.
    Ah, ok. Then even lower level abstract framework so that todays cards don't run into compiler issues 5 to 7 years from now.

The compiler issue is not a problem of the API. No amount of specification can fix a broken implementation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123