why wont the boolean thing work with these objects?

i have done boolean a zillion times okay.
why wont it let me cut a hole for the wheelwells of a bus?
thanks all

Attachments

booleanproblem.blend (536 KB)

remake bus chassis but keep it manifold

as boolean did not like that box, i made another.
it worked but how do i get rid of the streaks?
so i put a picture on it. i selected the left side pixels and assigned them and look-
it put the picture on the roof!
help!
thanks all

Attachments

boolean2packed.blend (903 KB)

trouble is i have no idea what you mean by manifold.
thanks

when i tried to do the UV thing, the bus was pointing backwards! on the UV screen.

i made the second bus by beveling a cube three times then smooth.
then i pulled the ends to get it to the correct proportions

I myself have been in the position of already having successfully used Boolean modifiers in the past, and then at a later time had bad results with them. I have a few recommendations to get Booleans to execute properly:
-Remove all other modifiers before applying the Boolean
-Try and eliminate ngons, quads are preferable.
-Try and have a similar level of division/detail/density. You probably shouldn’t try to merge a sphere with 30,000 vertices with a sphere with 500 vertices.
-Recalculate your normals
-If you are trying to do a union of two objects and there is a lot of “internal geometry”, that’s really not going to work out very well.
-Remove doubles, try and have planar faces (look at Mesh Analysis with distrotion view, or look at the bottom of the toolbar in edit mode, mesh, clean up, make planar faces). Can’t promise this will help but it’s something you should be doing anyways. Splitting concave faces would also probably help.

Here is the intersection of cylinders I did with Boolean modifiers:

Inefficient with geometry. Here is that same intersection done with the knife tool:

What I did was I made a cylinder as a separate object (high poly), I rotated it into position so I could use its outline as a guide for the knife tool. I looked in orthographic mode as I worked, obviously. Then I deleted the new circular face I made and deleted it. I removed the bottom half of the cylinder to reduce the required work. You could also copy and paste an intersection like this an use it in another part of the mesh, it would be easier to merge the vertices than remake the cylinder, probably.
TL;DR use the knife tool instead! That would work well in your case.

Several issues, you are trying to do about 5 bad things,
The bus body has a modifier using the cylinder and the same cylinder has a boolean modifier using the bus body, the bus body has overlapping unconnected faces, so does the rear set of wheel arc meshes.

Remove all modifiers, dissolve the edge loop around one half of the bus, delete doubles>increasing the selection size 1 click, should remove 20 verts.
Select the rear wheels and delete them, select the bus, add boolean modifier, select wheel object as object to use, diff and carve should work even without manifold mesh. ( but a manifold mesh is safer so maybe fill the bottom of bus, should work with the loose edges removed now)
This is all from the first file, to scared to look at the second :slight_smile: just joking.

{edit}Must have been typing at the same time :slight_smile:

Thanks Alexander.
i always use the knife tool free hand. i am bit old now is there a non free hand way to use the knife?

thanks Zenitor
i got rid of the first one.
second try is worth a look.

“Snap utilities-line-free version” addon is fantastic, snaps to verts and mid point of edges, great for making quads from ngons, easy to use multiple times on different parts of mesh without closing, once you get used to it, you wont be able to go back to the standard knife.

the free line link at the bottom of first post

also you can use a cylinder, join it to the bus mesh, and select the cylinder mesh verts, and use intersect"knife" option under faces menu, then delete the cylinder verts, now you have your wheel arch.

ctrl-f intersect"knife"

Thanks zenitor. in this one instance, i was able to us e ad a vert and go around the shape of the cutout. worked this once!