Future of BGE

Friends, is it true that in future BGE will be discontinued?
Also when is the release of 2.79?

False - Ton says that if bge uses the new render it will be kept. Tristan and the team are working on this now.(see video)

however regardless the upbge fork and the older blender builds still exist even if blender game is not included in 2.8

a plan for a new integrated logic system usable in blender and the game engine is further down the road,

but I believe this plan is to use ‘everything nodes’ that work in the viewport, and game engine, and can be exported and sold.

I hope it will be similar to blueprints but with a container system that the container can change states, allowing drag and drop folders of logic as well as features like modular state machines for game ai.

python nodes that interact with the other nodes will be needed as well.

For now upbge game logic is quite powerful, and if you push it’s limits and find areas that need improved, the upbge team - Tristan, Youle, or LordLoki or TwisterGE might patch something for you in native code.

what do you need to do that you can’t at the moment?

There’s already a thread on this (future of BGE in Blender 2.8)

Post cancelled and END

Why are artists so in love with post processing it takes up alot of performance !!!
Ive been working for a month now on how to optimize post processes in a detailed scene particularly with alot of python scripts , and vehicle physics and filters !!! (Post processing is nice but Great on High-End’s)

Fred/K.S

I’m worried about games designed in past versions breaking with this new system. Would the old logic system still work the same?

As far as I know, there are no plans for a new logic system for 2.8. However, the new renderer is sufficient to break your game. Whenever there is progress in software development, there are going to be old projects that are being broken.

How would changing the renderer affect it? Like custom 2d filters or part so the api?

It is certainly going to look different. I don’t know what other changes are going to be there, but most the api for shaders and materials is going to be changed, at least in the sense that other properties need to be used.

Moderators: Is there any chance this thread and the thread I started here could be merged…I don’t see a need for two threads that are virtually the same thing…and I don’t care if the thread I started just gets merged into this one…or vice versa.

everyone else: sorry about the noise :slight_smile: