Filmic Issue

Hello every body, I have a question, maybe is an issue. I’m using the filmic, when I rendered an image everything looks good in the blender preview window(Uv/image editor) but when I save that image and I open it in another program the filmic look is losed. Anyone knows how to save the image with the filmic color grading look?

https://youtu.be/ppMOl7Vml18

At a guess I’m going to say it’s your colour profile in the external editor doesn’t match the colour profile that the image is saved in. I don’t use Mac, so will struggle to help more.

The most likely cause, as Roken suggests is that Blender does not apply a colour profile when saving an image, so it’s possible the image viewer is not correctly interpreting the image colour space.

However, if you’re not using a monitor profile it’s still possible the saved image will not exactly match the render window, even when viewed in Photoshop or Gimp.

I would recommend saving to 16 or 32 bit if you intend doing any post processing.

As the other savvy commenters have noted, it is almost certainly a profile issue.

On MacOS, an untagged image such as what you created, is interpreted as sRGB. While the colour primaries are correct, the contrast transfer function is slightly different due to a linear toe segment in the sRGB OETF.

To rectify this, you should assign a proper 2.2 power function profile to the work. Elle Stone has created quite a few profiles, and this profile should meet the requirements precisely.

You must assign the profile, not convert, as the data is already in the correct format. To do so using ImageMagick for example, the syntax would be approximately:

convert source.tif -profile MY_PROFILE_PATH/sRGB-elle-V2-g22.icc target.tif

This will assign and embed the ICC into the encoded file, and ICC colour managed applications should honour this.

Could you please test and report back?

Hello Troy, sorry for my late answer, I was working out for a while, well, What happens if I working with an animation? I will try this today for a single frame, just to know if it works.

Cheers. :slight_smile:

Video players don’t typically use ICCs. There aren’t many colour managed video players out there, nor do they make assumptions like still image viewers.