Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally Posted by Miatpi View Post
    Love your render Evilos, but I see some noise. Is it intentional?
    Thanks a lot Miatpi No, itīs not intentional. I just rendered it with fewer samples, due to the late time i finished it
    I will try to get it less noisy today

"Energy" pure entry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weekly4v2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	502.5 KB 
ID:	494602

Bioluministentic Beach

Pure entry cycles filmic 500 samplesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Bioluministentic_Beach.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	494648

The Balanced Card
    Name:  02.png
Views: 189
Size:  676.9 KB
    pure entry, 500 samples.
    Anyone familiar with Hearthstone should get this.
    Edit: changed it to 1000 samples.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm going to use something like 30 textures from textures.com, should my entry still be considered 'pure'?

I think rules are not clear about textures/shadres for your models. This refers mainly to "new models" and "foreground and background" models. So the question here is, when it talks about "model", is it also referring to its material/texture?

A couple of times I have used materials created by other users in my "pure" entries...

For me it is a bit controversial. There are some addons out there containing thousands of preconfigured materials. Someone could use those materials and after all he would be purely using Blender. But for me that's not much different than using third-party textures for your materials. So for me it's fine (I'm not sure what others think), but make an effort as much as possible to mainly use pure materials with Blender on most of your models.
    Last edited by YAFU; 12-Aug-17 at 18:27.
    Be patient, English is not my language.

Gobble

Name:	MoonGobble-purbosky.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	494665

Pure entry, Cycles 200 samples + compositing.
    My sites : DeviantArt | ArtStation

I think that if you use textures, and these contribute significantly to the work, it should be open. I think voters would respect the honesty: Environment textures that create the illusion of created geometry should also make entries open, also in my opinion.

Originally Posted by DoriNori View Post
    I'm going to use something like 30 textures from textures.com,
    Sounds interesting. I'm really looking forward to that entry. :-)

Originally Posted by DoriNori View Post
    should my entry still be considered 'pure'?
    Indeed, the rules are rather unspecific on that matter.

Personally, I think the texture (image file) origin isn't that important. As long as the texture isn't the sole/main focus of the entry (e.g. placing a photo on a plane and calling it an entry would be a little cheap), putting the entry into the pure category should be fine. If the entry is all about textures, that might be another story...

"If you can honestly say to yourself, 'Yes, I mainly used Blender to make this', then the entry is Pure."

That part of the rules is very vague - but I think it works quite well.

Apart from that - stating what parts of the entry are old, new, reused, imported from somewhere else, ... is always a good/fair idea. This way the voters can make a fair decision and the open/pure category isn't that relevant anymore.

My entry. Pure, Cycles, denoising.

"Run away!"

Name:	Run away.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	494758

Quick dyntopo sculpt for the skull, much volumetrics (30 min render time for 250 samples)
    Last edited by YAFU; 13-Aug-17 at 14:49.
    Be patient, English is not my language.

The Death of Artificial Intelligence

Pure (Unless use of texture maps kick it to being open)

Name:	TheDeathofAI.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	494692

Cycles, 128 samples

I've considered the question of texture use on challenge entries a lot over the past few weeks, and how it would affect pure/open status on my models, so it was interesting to see it come up this week. Based on what Helge said above, and my own thoughts on it all, I would consider this to be a pure entry. I used a rust texture from Poliigon for the robot and the gloss and normal maps of that texture on the pipes with a custom base color, but the rust is not the focus of the image nor does it give the robot its robotic look. It is also not what I would hope catches the attention, the focus (I hope) is the spirit, which was entirely made in Blender using glass and emission nodes in cycles. Also the use of the third party maps is small in comparison to the overall visual that was created entirely in Blender, but I leave the ultimate decision on if this is pure or open to Helge.

I pulled the rendered image though GIMP to convert it from PNG to JPG, and while there I did remove ONE, yes 1, pixel sized caustic that showed up shining bright white on the end of one of the pipes. Don't know why he insisted on hopping into things, but he did so I killed him.

I had a lot of fun with this theme and took it as a chance to learn more about rendering in cycles, lighting, and how to create glowing glass effects in Blender; bonus was that those three things combined to give me a lot of insight into how and why caustics happen.

Pure entry: "Restring"

Name:	overnatural wec 738.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	494744

Here is my non-competing entry...

MONOCEROSPECTRAL

Pure, all done in Blender 2.78c (Cycles renderer, 500 samples), and only Cycles procedural textures were used.

RobertT

@RobertT: Love your image, really awesome abstractness!! How did you achieve it?

"Spupernatural"

Name:	spupernatural.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	494749
    So Spooooopy!
    Cycles, 200 samples, filmic
    Almost every material contains a texture from textures.com, so I'll just call it an 'Open' entry.

Also, is there a specific file format that is "better" for images? I always just use .png, but when I put it on the site it changes to .jpg
    Last edited by DoriNori; 13-Aug-17 at 13:52.

@DoriNori: I found that images that are 680 pixels wide and less can be uploaded as PNG's. The maximum height is a little more, 700 pixels I think. Everything else seems to get JPG'ed.

Originally Posted by Evilos View Post
    @RobertT: Love your image, really awesome abstractness!! How did you achieve it?
    Thanks!

The short answer is "trial and MANY errors" =)

Essentially, this was a Cycles experiment party, sort of a tweaker's dream (or nightmare, depending on how someone perceive such seemingly unmanageable things).

Well, I could try to explain it all, but this should help -- this a look at the 3D View and most of the main Cycle shader I created for the central figure (Monoceros/Unicorn):

I'm not ashamed to admit that, as I'm still learning Cycles, there's probably stuff plugged in incorrectly here, but, the thing is, I kept playing with this until I liked what I saw ;-)

I barely know what I'm doing in Cycles, and that's such a funny feeling after having worked with Blender Internal for so long. Some of my experience does have one-to-one correlation in Cycles, while other ideas require new thinking and a lot of experimentation.

One of the technical "secrets" of this piece was that it is "filmed" (seen / rendered) behind a fractally-subdivided plane which, through some IOR, pulls in things from the sides (e.g. spheres, lines, etc.).

This caused issues when I noticed this then caused Z buffer (for DOF/Defocus node) not to properly serve the depth, so, I found the answer in another render layer, where I used one of the Cycles Wireframe nodes with a layer set to Alpha threshold to help solve that issue (hence the long line from the second Render Layer to the Defocus nodes):

So I duplicated my somewhat hastily modeled unicorn and capitalized from the very bad topology there for artistic purposes when I placed it in another Render Layer for the wireframe with some Lens Distortion / Dispersion for added "spectral" effect.

Stylistically, this, for me, was, in a way, me travelling back in time to the early 2000s, when, after a little protracted struggle with Blender Internal, I was definitely beginning to enjoy the excitement of Blendering and realizing the creative possibilities Blender offered, if one was patient enough.

Here's a sample of my work from that period.

Fun times. Seems like it was only yesterday, and, relatively speaking, it was!

Time's mostly an illusion anyway, and yet, for me, now it's back to the future =)

RobertT

I learned an interesting way of creating outlined text this weekend: Make a copy of a text object, make into a mesh, delete all faces, while keeping the outer edges, make it into a curve, add a bevel to it, then make the original text object its parent. When I resize the original text, the outline resizes along with it

Over Nature

Well this didn't really turn out how I wanted but I decided I'd post it anyways

Name:  Over Nature.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  183.6 KB

Pure Cycles - 128 Samples

The Kraken

Here is my entry for this week.
    Pure, 512 samples
    Any tips/critisism is welcome

Name:	supernatural.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	222.2 KB