Train smoke

I am working on train smoke but I am having trouble finding the right combination of settings, here is a test render

It looks good, but there is no puff, it is way too static at the base, too large as well, cant seem to be able to control the way it comes out, also I would like to have it go from dark to light, tried a gradient, but it looks awefull.

Here is an image of what I want to achieve

Any help or link to some good tutorials would be appreciated!

I was attempting something similar, trying to get exhaust smoke to plume correctly. I used a post I found here (https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?342611-Making-exhaust-with-smoke-or-particle-engine&p=2684052&viewfull=1#post2684052), KWD’s file created decent plumes.

If you rotate the circle in that file so the particles are emitted upwards, and increase the velocity and dampening, you get this result:

The smoke drags with the circle, but maybe someone has a way around that.

I was attempting something similar, trying to get exhaust smoke to plume correctly. I used a post I found here (https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?342611-Making-exhaust-with-smoke-or-particle-engine&p=2684052&viewfull=1#post2684052), KWD’s file created decent plumes.

If you rotate the circle in that file so the particles are emitted upwards, and increase the velocity and dampening, you get this result:

The smoke drags with the circle, but maybe someone has a way around that.

If the train is not moving the smoke should go up instead of backwards. unlless it is very windy.
What I know from a locomotive is that the smoke is more puffy instead of a constant fume.
try to pause it in between

Hope it helps

Have you played with the initial velocity setting on the smoke flow object?

You can keyframe it too to make it regularly ‘puff’ out smoke…

Thanks for the suggestion, but here on my win 10 x64 2.78c Blender install, any time I try to change tabs on the domain, everything goes back to the defaults, same goes on 2.79 RC1, I reported it quite a bit ago, never got fixed here!

Thanks for your reply, making test with a moving emitter, looks allot better.

One more question, if I change the smoke domain tabs, like if I go from domain to flow, all the settings go back to default, I reported it as a bug a while back, but its still there here, even in 2.79 RC1, anyone else having this issue, am I missing something?

Windows 10 pro x64

EDIT: Never mind, finally figured it out! :spin: