Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally Posted by Esparadrapo View Post
    Why would you turn your CPU into a little furnace for less than a 10% performance increase? These have an even worse power consumption than Skylake-X for even less returns.
    My thoughts exactly. You don't overclock a production machine. The decrease in stability and lifespan is not worth the tiny amount of performance gain. It's a fine hobby, but it's not advisable for mission-critical work.
    "Houdini ain't that great a software. Why not something simpler like Blender?" - Internet Fanboy

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    As for GPU's, I personally see a multi-GPU setup a waste of money. The reason why is that less than a year after spending all of that money, Nvidia and AMD come out with brand new cards that are up to 50 percent faster (so what do you do, spend another boatload of money for a new set of GPU's)? A single higher-end card these days will be more than enough for the more GPU-centric viewport in 2.8 (even for highly detailed and complex scenes).
    The same is true for a single GPU system. Components become obsolete whether you have 1 or 10 of them.

I find the integration tight enough for multi GPU within cycles that it is totally worth it. It's also a nice option for a boost later on. maybe you build a nice system, but in 2 years it's starting to feel a little sluggish so you buy a new GPU. no reason to throw away the old one, just move it down a slot and pop in your new card and get an amazing boost in speed.

Heterogeneous GPU setups can be a little bit trickier to navigate for final renders, bot not too bad. Sometimes your fast GPU will finish its last tile, when your slower GPU just started its last one, and you have to wait around for it to finish. I find having smaller tile sizes helps to keep everyone busy till the end.

I would recommend getting the best GPU you can afford, and if you can afford 2 of those, awesome! If you can't drop all that cash, then wait for a while and save up for a second GPU. I wouldn't recommend stepping down to a lower performing GPU just so you can afford 2 of them though.

And as another caveat, I've had a lot of good experiences with dual GPU setups, but I haven't seen enough info on 4 or more GPUs working well to recommend investing in a rack of video cards.

And looking towards the future, I'm not sure if Eevee plays well with SLI, so the viewport may not be boosted quite as much as it is in cycles.

Originally Posted by YAFU View Post
    You meant 7820X right?
    This seems to have a good balance between Multi and Single thread performance.
    If it's the 8-core model, then yes.

Looks to provide the best balance of the current generation (faster than Ryzen in both single and multi-core workflows and not that much pricier). Threadripper may have far more rendering performance, but you gamble on the idea that a lot of code in many apps. will become massively multithreaded to justify your purchase (and the current trend shows it won't happen anytime soon).

That and the fact that Cycles at least has seen some good optimization work in the past year, lessening the need to get as many cores as possible. What AMD needs to do yet to really start hammering Intel is to focus on IPC and increasing the clock-speed that XFR can boost to (as the latter especially is behind Intel's equivalent).
    Last edited by Ace Dragon; 11-Aug-17 at 15:42.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon
    The reason why is that less than a year after spending all of that money, Nvidia and AMD come out with brand new cards that are up to 50 percent faster (so what do you do, spend another boatload of money for a new set of GPU's)?
    I'm betting 500 dogecoins that AMD will come out with a 24 or 32-core Threadripper CPU within the next year. In that case, you sell your old hardware and buy the new thing, or you stick with what you have until your hardware is near-worthless.

It's not "normal" that CPUs have been stagnant like in the past years while other hardware has made significant progress. There just wasn't much of a market for more cores. I'm however quite confident that programmers will find new ways to make ordinary software painfully slow even on fairly modern machines. We really just need simple multi-core support in Javascript and then websites will be able to waste resources on all cores, not just one.

Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    I'm betting 500 dogecoins that AMD will come out with a 24 or 32-core Threadripper CPU within the next year. In that case, you sell your old hardware and buy the new thing, or you stick with what you have until your hardware is near-worthless.
    Not to be a bag or anything of that sort, but I noticed you attributed the quote to the wrong person
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    Not to be a bag or anything of that sort, but I noticed you attributed the quote to the wrong person
    For context: I "replied with quote" to SterlingRoths post and since the forum software can't handle the nesting, it prefills the wrong name. I noticed it right away (in the time before the post is marked as edited), but apparently not fast enough for you to see it.

I am very interested to buy a threadripper but i can only find motherboards with max 5 PCI-E slots, will there be x399 motherboard with 7 PCI-E slots? I would like to fit 7 GPU's.
    Last edited by staner; 14-Aug-17 at 03:35.

Fully agree with you staner. but as of right now, 5 PCIe x16 slots only. with some that have extra PCIe x1 or x4 slots..

but nothing as elegant as full blow 7 PCIe x16 slots. Which means I can keep saving some funds when it does become available.
    Dual Xeon X5-2687w :: 32GB ECC :: 3x RX 480

Hiiu, Nõmme, Tallinn, Harjumaa, Estonia, EU
    Originally Posted by staner View Post
    I am very interested to buy a threadripper but i can only find motherboards with max 5 PCI-E slots, will there be x399 motherboard with 7 PCI-E slots? I would like to fit 7 GPU's.
    http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote....&vid=428&src=F
    +
    http://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/A...ble/design.htm

Go nuts.

edit: finding a case will be a challenge though.
    Last edited by Felix_Kütt; 22-Aug-17 at 05:15.
    FunLinks: . . . . . . .

Originally Posted by Felix_Kütt View Post

WHAAAAAAA.. is that a single PCIE x16 to 2 PCIE x8 adapter. meaning plx chip on each? or are they splitting full 16 slot in 1/2. DAM and it isn't that expensive.

And I wonder if it can split a single 8x electric PCIE slot to two 4x electric PCIE slots... dam you Felix_Kutt... and I bow before thee for finding this... will have to do some research on this.

I will add though, I'd still prefer 6-7 PCIE directly on the motherboard. much cleaner design and would cost far less..

There are motherboards with 19 PCI-E slots. http://wccftech.com/asus-b250-mining...g-motherboard/
    CG enthusiast. Tools: Blender - Substance - Unity3D

but not threadripper .. if they offered it it might be interesting, but issue is with 1x PCIe slots, depending on scene complexity, you'll be increasing your total render times.. but still.. ryzen/threadripper with 7pcie slots, somethign that would be interesting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12