Blenderguru fantasy art competition

Hi there

I’ve always been fascinated with Frank Frazetta so when blenderguru announced the Fantasy competition I decided to try interpret one of his works.

At the moment I’m thinking of “Swamp demon”

Here are my sculpts so far:

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I keep second guessing the subject I chose but I’m getting to the point of no return.

First class work, your sculpting skills and anatomical knowledge are well beyond mine, so I can’t really comment beyond saying keep up the good work. Also Frazetta was in a class of his own.

Thanks man…I can’t wait to see how your’s comes together. I was blown away by the pencil sketch and - if your rendering are anywhere close to the quality of your drawing - its going to be amazing!

The demon sculpt is looking good, but I find the proportions of the female to be in need of some attention, particularly if one of your goals is to interpret the iconic “Frazetta female” in 3D. Frazetta worked in a time when the ideal proportions were significantly different than now, particularly in the width of the shoulders and thickness of the upper thorax/chest area (not including the breast masses), compared to the width & masses of the hips and buttocks. He also worked with a guiding principle of very convex masses for his figures, females in particular, with the roundness of things often going a ways past naturalism – anatomy was the starting point and underlying foundation, but his stylistic interpretations go beyond mere anatomy and are what make his work so distinctive. Specific observations:

1)Gluteus muscles need to be even rounder, almost spherical
2) More musculature definition at the tops of the thighs and around the flare of the pelvic girdle; more roundness there also
3) Narrow the waistline and reduce the mass of the thorax, in particular the anterior presentation the rib cage
4) Shoulder span much narrower; in his day, the width of the shoulders with arms at the side matched the width of the hips. Today’s ideal calls for wider shoulders and narrower hips, but Frazetta never adopted that.
5) Frazetta’s women were known for their often gravity-defying breasts, and although the figure in the ref doesn’t show them, it will all work better if they are modeled that way. There are scads of refs with frontal views, of course.

From a standpoint of naturalism, your figure is working well, but doesn’t yet conform to the Frazetta ideals, if that is one of your goals.

Thanks for the feedback. You’re absolutely right. I am playing with giving it my own take but I do want to give the woman a Frazetta look. Retopology will have to wait :wink:

Hopefully I can post an update later today.

Something I’m a bit scared of though - even though Frazetta had a styalistic way of interpreting his subjects they still remained grounded in reality. I am worried about making it look too cartoonish.

It’s definitely a consideration, because except for his masterful painting techniques, his women have a near-cartoonish stylization, which is more evident in some of his pencil and pen-brush-ink work. After all he did do a lot of comics work as well as his paintings.

Ok… first attempt at giving her a more frazetta look… oppinions?

Wow amazing concept! And so far amazing characters!

Love your concept! - Frazetta was one of those artists that was always around when I was growing up so I have high hopes for your work.

The guys were always chiseled, muscle on top of muscle it seemed, but never too extreme - some of my uncles and brother too looked like those men. The females were plump and soft and youthful not the hard strong female type we are now subjected to.

Frazetta was great at action but some of my favourite pieces were the subdued pieces like in your example.

My suggestion for the female is to soften her a bit - like she never done a work out in her life.

For the beast make him lean, like he works lifting weights but also runs 20 miles a day. Make more relaxed in posture and his face creases are relaxed and not caused by grimacing.

The fun part in your project for me is the volumetrics and compositing.

Thanks elfy…yup the volumetrics and compositing are going to be fun but a pain…i have no idea where to start when it comes to that :stuck_out_tongue:

So I really thought the demon would be the difficult sculpt but I’ve spent way more time of the female. But I think I’m finally done and they’re ready for retopology. Hopefully I can finish that today or tomorrow so I can start on details.