Godot engine developers now on Patreon (call for support)

Hi.

I searched for both Patreon and Godot for the last couple of days, and saw nothing except a mention in the Godot 2.1.3, so I thought this deserved itīs own thread.

Godot, if you havenīt heard, is pretty much the Blender of open source game development (supporting both 2d and 3d game developing), and there are many Blender users (including me) using it. Itīs been developing at a fast rate towards 3.0, mainly due to a Mozilla grant, allowing their lead developer, Juan Linietsky (and others of course) to modernize the engine, and bring it to OpenGL 3.3 (much like Blender 2.8), but to keep Juan working on this full time, more money is needed, hence:

The Godot Patreon site

from the page:

Why become a Patron?

Juan Linietsky (also known as Juan Alpaca or reduz) is the lead developer of Godot Engine. He has written most of the engine code and is helping new developers get familiar with the project. We need Juan to work full-time for Godot, so he can lead the work of creating the most amazing game engine ever seen.

If you haven't heard of it, Godot is a free and open source (MIT) game engine. It is a full, modern and extremely powerful game engine that fits in a 20 MB download, and is aimed at easily developing games of any complexity for any platform, be it big or small, PC or mobile. Our development process is completely open, and our goals are always set by listening to the community.

Juan, the lead developer, has more than 20 years of experience working with video game technology, and lives off doing video game development consulting to several companies. As this is time consuming, he only develops Godot on his free time.

We want to allow Juan work full time on Godot for as long as possible, and eventually hire more developers to work on more and exciting features, so please help by becoming our Patron! Let's make the best game engine ever, together!

Where do donations go?

All donations go to our fiscal sponsor, Software Freedom Conservancy, a non-profit organization that supports many high profile open source projects. They use the funds to hire and pay developers according to instructions from the Godot Project Leadership Committee (PLC, a committee constituted of Godot founders and core developers). This is a warranty that your funds will be used solely for the benefit of the project.
    Follow Juan at https://twitter.com/reduzio
    check devlogs at: https://godotengine.org/devblog
    Working on an epic creative project with superheroes, aliens and lots of T&A - stay tuned!
    My hardware: Core i5 4690 3.5ghz - Geforce 960 2GB - RAM 8GB, Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen&Touch
    My software: Blender, Krita | My BA sketchbook

It's worth noting the incredible progress that the engine has had thanks to the open source community. These contributions will help godot developers work full time on the engine and also in the future hire some of the active contributors. It is becoming more and more apparent that Godot has become to the game engine world what Blender has become to the 3d graphics world- the most viable professional open source solution to meet the industry's demands. It is democratizing game development - in a sense that is much more true than what Unity or Unreal have done. And it is actually the only open source and free game engine imo that can compete with Unity and Unreal.

It is absolutely worth funding as a project, because we all benefit from it's development. That development can be much faster. The main programmer Juan has been working on it part time,but Just look at this massive update

If he can write a new 3d engine and so many other features with the other devs- imagine what they can do if they were better funded and had more resources

tHIS IS LOOKING AMAZING. I'll keep the caps for this.
    I can only give suggestions, personal opinions and constructive critique, but it is your decision what you do with it.

Originally Posted by blurymind View Post
    It is democratizing game development - in a sense that is much more true than what Unity or Unreal have done. And it is actually the only open source and free game engine imo that can compete with Unity and Unreal.
    How so?

As much as I like Godot I don't find this to be even remotely true.

I wouldnīt compare Godot to Unreal or Unity featurewise, itīs just not there yet. My interest in Godot is based on what I feel is a huge potential. Hyperbole isnīt necessary, more developers are. Thatīs why you should support them.
    Working on an epic creative project with superheroes, aliens and lots of T&A - stay tuned!
    My hardware: Core i5 4690 3.5ghz - Geforce 960 2GB - RAM 8GB, Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen&Touch
    My software: Blender, Krita | My BA sketchbook

Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    How so?

As much as I like Godot I don't find this to be even remotely true.
    The three greatest weakpoints in Godot 2.x is 3D graphics (performance, shading, ect...), physics, and performance of game logic.

The renderer has been completely redone and there's active work on replacing the current physics engine with Bullet. There's also a variant of GDscript in the works called GDnative (it's similar to C#). The native variant is much faster, but requires the use of an external code editor (ie. no support for writing in the built-in script editor yet).
    Last edited by Ace Dragon; 23-Aug-17 at 15:57.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    How so? As much as I like Godot I don't find this to be even remotely true.
    Just from what I see in the trailer, I think Godot 3.0 has some great potential. Obviously it's hardly anyway nearly better than Unity or UE4, but the potential is there.

Also, since it's a small engine, it will be vastly more easy to learn and understand, or implementing unique features from the ground up.

Democratizing game development though... Nah. Game development is not a subject that can be described as democratic or not democratic. Godot 3.0 has become a choice while we already have lots of choices even without it.