Substance Painter Height maps in Blender

I use Substance Painter and Designer for my texturing needs, however I have a question.

In Substance Painter many materials use height map information when you’re painting your models, but if I want to use them in Blender I’d have to give way more geometry and use a Displacement modifier right?

But here’s the thing, in Substance Painter it doesn’t generate more geometry on my models and yet I still see all the info. And for character’s that obviously rely on clean topology for animation, this is very important.

How can I use those height maps in Blender without having to increase the geometry and effectively ruining my clean topology on my characters?

Substance can convert height information to normal map then you apply the normal map in blender

Huh, really? I never knew that. How? By using the OpenGL Normal Maps maybe?

Like that:

1 Like

thanks, this is very helpful

You can plug the height map into a bump node. Just make sure that you change the Distance and not Strength if you want more or less of that bumpiness. Sometimes you have to use values as low as 0.0001 for it to look natural though, depending on the scale of your object etc.