When is Armory 3D going to be free and open source?

So I’ve heard about Amory 3D. I checked out their page and read somewhere stating that they’ll make it free and open source one day. I’m just curious to find out when that day will come…

Last I heard, it will actually be a commercial product (though I don’t know whether they will have a ‘free’ license with caveats).

For a FOSS project with direct integration into Blender, take a look at the UPBGE project which aims to become the current engine’s drop-in replacement.

I’m pretty sure Armory is open source but I may be wrong. (At least you can currently get the source of it). since you already have access to the source on github, it’s free but you gotta compile it.

Github? What do you mean that I have to compile it?

Armory is not open source and the plans are/were to sell it at 50$ or so…if I remember correctly from the last and only time I visited the site.

Guys, take a look: https://github.com/armory3d/armory

I see here it says they are trying to make it free, until then you can buy it :slight_smile: I’d wait though…I mean it has been around a while…but until 2.8 is done there is no way to tell what engine renderer to go with.

Realistically, the 2.8 renderer is going to have the usual initial issue, while Armory 3D can already be used, which gives it a huge advantage. It is going to take a long time before a fair comparison is possible. If the goal is to make a game, I would not wait for 2.8, because it is too far away.

That being said, armory’s also being tested still.

Well do you know when they will be done testing?

Yes it would be nice to know when armory engine is “finished” so you can start learning how to work with it. I would love to wrap my head around those logic nodes, assuming they’re going to make it possible for people to make complete games of great quality.

So you don’t know then? They’ve been in development for quite some time now. I doubt they’ll make the next version free.