Can't scrub sound wav strip in video sequence editor

I can’t hear anything. And I have audio scrubbing checked in the timeline playback menu. When I encode the sound strip with my video strip (not included in the blend file below), and play it outside Blender, I can hear the sound fine. I’d like to edit the sound in Blender. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I had to delete 2.78 and download 2.75 to do the audio editing. I still have no idea why 2.78 won’t let me scrub.

http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=47458

Timeline and Playback controls - Playback - enable Audio Scrubbing.

1 Like

I did do that and I still can’t hear the music. I noticed the color of the audio strip is different than it appears in previous versions of Blender. Anyway, I can get the scrubbing to work in a previous version (2.75). Any idea of what I am doing wrong would be helpful.

That’s pretty odd.
Can you post a .blend file with a small sound clip in it having the same problem?
Also, give “Update Animation Cache” in the Scene tab a try…

I just tried the “Update Animation Cache” and it did nothing. I have a link to the blend file in my original post. But here it is again.

Like I said in the original post, after I uninstall 2.78 and install 2.75, I am able to scrub the audio strip like I’ve always been able to do with previous versions of Blender.

At a glance, seems like there’s no audio information in your sound file. Does it play outside of Blender? If you have something like Audacity (or other audio editor) you could open it up for a look-see.
Here you’ll notice when “Draw Waveform” is enabled, there isn’t one…

Also, just above “Mono” in the scrn grab - “Pack”… That should be enabled to save the sound file within the blend.

I hadn’t packed the sound file. This time I did. The new blend file link is below. I was able to play the audio file outside Blender 2.78. Like I stated above, I was able to scrub and hear the sound effect in Blender 2.75. I notice the color of the sound file is blue and in my blender 2.78 it’s a yellow color. I wonder what that means?

http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=47485

All works as expected here in 2.78 - strip color included. I unpacked your snd file then opened it in a new blend file - all good. Beats the heck out of me.

Last thing i can think of is to check your sound options in the “System” tab of your prefs.

Beyond this point i’m truly at a loss. Hopefully someone else who has encountered this problem before will chime in.

If it works in an older version I would also look at whether the hardware is supported by the newer version.

Where would I go to find that out? What hardware? I do have a new computer. Ironically, the main reason why I invested in a new computer was to be able to work more easily in Blender.

In the first post you said you had to remove 2.78. If you are using the installer, try the .zip version, it is more self contained and relies less on system libraries.

There are various command line arguments and debug options you can use to get more feedback on what’s going on. Have you looked for console errors when the audio strip is loaded?

After adding a sound file in Blender 2.78, I pulled down the top of the Blender screen to see if I could see console errors. I’m not even sure that’s where console errors would show up. I didn’t see any errors. But for some unknown reason, I started hearing sounds from the audio file. I closed Blender (2.78). I opened it again. I used another sound file and I could hear the sound. The color of the strip is still yellow, but the scrubbing works like normal now. I have no idea what was wrong and why it fixed itself. Thanks for all your help.