Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Originally Posted by PixelPete View Post
    Is it just me or is the baking of the normal maps (combined normals, normals from height,...) not included in the 2.79 release? I canīt get it to work :/
    care to show/share what you're doing - the result & what are you trying to accomplish?

BTW
    What's holding this back from inclusion in master?

&Thank you cgstrive for the build.

There's only one thing to note: Viewport preview and Final render differ.
    In viewport intersections are not shaded while in final they are.
    eg
    Last edited by burnin; 02-Oct-17 at 06:25.

Just wanted to say this is one of my personal top blender developments 2017 for sure. I am more excited for this shader than for evee, seriously.

To clarify, that is mostly CAD data, which means an enormous triangle soup. You can forget beveling that in any other way.
    Paul's Law: You can't fall off the floor.

Such an awesome feature. This is exported CAD geometry from moi3d.
    Pretty nice for the most part- except it was going to be a bear to bevel around the hex nuts, knurls and tiny details.
    This bevel node should be included in Master ASAP.
    Screenshot 2017-10-03 09.41.10.jpgScreenshot 2017-10-03 09.41.01.jpgScreenshot 2017-10-03 09.40.42.jpg

Originally Posted by cgstrive View Post
    Hope to see Bevel in master, it's amazing feature!

Meanwhile here's a Win build including Bevel Node(D2803) and WeightedNormals modifier by Rohan. Also "Build" modifier that is shamelessly overriden to behave as Remove Doubles modifier: http://cgstrive.com/blend/Blender279_Bevel_WNor_win.rar

Create some awesome stuff and share it!
    Thanks for this BTW- simple and powerful feature- fun to test out.

Can you use this shader for texturing purposes also? Make worn edges etc?

This is so killer for concept development. You dont have to hunt down every corner to bevel and correct issues with weird polys- it is automatically embedded in a material and you can keep live booleans going further downstream before collapsing the modifier stack. Really missed this workflow.

Last edited by parel; 09-Oct-17 at 14:31.

Looks like another great addition to Cycles.

Could someone provide a osx build??
    In the end, only blender will surrender
    i7 4770 - 2x GTX 780 ti- 32GB

Since two weeks I can't make builds of the patch in OSX with bevel working, same problem in windows. The build works but I don't fin the node in cycles. Maybe is because this problem...

error: patch failed: intern/cycles/kernel/kernel_random.h:300
    error: intern/cycles/kernel/kernel_random.h: patch does not apply
    error: patch failed: intern/cycles/kernel/kernel_types.h:305
    error: intern/cycles/kernel/kernel_types.h: patch does not apply
    error: patch failed: intern/cycles/kernel/osl/osl_services.cpp:958
    error: intern/cycles/kernel/osl/osl_services.cpp: patch does not apply

I expect that brecht and others decide something about this plugin because is really important for a lot of people.
    Last edited by DcVertice; 12-Oct-17 at 14:22.

I tried to compile for Linux (Mint 18.1).
    I did everything by instruction:
    https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...x/Ubuntu/CMake
    git checkout 5e9132b3b7d43785ec0f4d944159acc1c815c7c9
    this is 2.79 rc1
    patch -p1 <D2803.diff
    The patch was applied without errors. But the compilation stops at 10%.
    Tried it on different versions, on rc1, rc2, release.
    Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Without the patch, everything compiles well.
    Last edited by Rodinkov Ilya; 13-Oct-17 at 08:14.

Originally Posted by burnin View Post
    It appear ignored by devs for some reason. I send a email asking about the status of patch and I didn't receive answer. Maybe they are working in other things, I only guess that they won't ignored.
    Last edited by DcVertice; 13-Oct-17 at 09:20.

@Rodinkov Ilya, I have patched and successfully compiled hash 4d8e3b6. That is version from master at the time when patch was created.

So you can do:
    Code:
    git checkout 4d8e3b6
    and patch there.

Edit:
    By the way, in the patch History (Base item) you can see the hash version for which the patch will surely work
    Last edited by YAFU; 13-Oct-17 at 10:16.
    Be patient, English is not my language.

Originally Posted by YAFU View Post
    @Rodinkov Ilya, I have patched and successfully compiled hash 4d8e3b6. That is version from master at the time when patch was created.

So you can do:
    Code:
    git checkout 4d8e3b6
    and patch there.
    Thank you very much.

Does someone has a osx Version somewhere?

Originally Posted by tungee View Post
    Does someone has a osx Version somewhere?
    With the YAFU instructions I have made one, but I don't have a way to share a 170mb file.

Originally Posted by DcVertice View Post
    With the YAFU instructions I have made one, but I don't have a way to share a 170mb file.
    Google drive Perhaps DcVertice?

@Roman.Zhu: As a Modo user I am almost on the same boat as you. I used to be a fan of Modo but due to their subscription based licence I am on my way out... also after I discovered how good Blender is and it's community support it's a no brainier. Edge radius shader is the thing I was missing the most in Blender - happy to see it's possible in Cycles. Hope it will be integrated in 2.79a.
    Last edited by saiko; 16-Oct-17 at 01:53.

Great examples posted by everyone.

Originally Posted by Roman.Zhu View Post
    As someone who used rounded edge shader in modo for years i find blender's solution works really well in almost every situation (some cylinders are placed on top of others, some booleaned into others and not applied)

Attachment 499798Attachment 499799

BUT

To make art really fast there are key Nodes missing.
    -Curvature (REAL one, who cares about pointiness if it's fast, but useless in realworld examples?)
    -AO (There are NO ways to simulate it procedurally)
    They are needed to make masks.

^ These are only 2 reasons why i can't throw modo out, so i will cry about it in every post, ahah
    Very much agree with that.

This one feature has massive impact in accelerating workflow (day of work can become half) as well as simplifying process, allowing everyone to generate better, higher quality images. It's importance is not to be underrated.

Now surely there's always a crowd who says that features as such are unneeded, just use Bevel modifier. Problem is that it doesn't always work. To do something like Romans example you'd have to use 20 boolean Modifiers(subtractions, unions) and would have bevel modifier glitching, throwing spikes. Instead here it is - 1 awesome node doing it all. Of course Bevel modifier has it's use, it's awesome, users just have an option to choose what works best for needed situation.

//

AO/Inverse AO/curvature*
    are of the most important features currently missing. One cannot say that use "pointiness" as AO node, because it's faster. It's same as saying use Translucency for SSS. This can't be taken seriously. The point is that without QUALITY FEATURES, result is significantly harder if not impossible to get. Question is not about performance as users can still use Pointiness over AO if it's applicable for their given situation. Right now the choice is absent.

A case study(Vray with AO nodes). Let's suppose one builds a model as such and wish to do renders/stills or even some short animation:

WITHOUT the AO/Inverse AO node, to do EDGE DAMAGE/WEAR is near impossible in Blender (pointiness fails). That means you are FORCED to spend a week retopologizing the whole model(50-100k tris), exporting it to Substance Designer/Painter and spend redoing most of your Cycles Node network there to get some edge wear. This is ridiculously inefficient and should be doable with Cycles nodes saving a week of work and allowing further changes/modeling to continue (vs re-re-topologizing).

Needless to say, by being able to do edge wear and similar FX, one could bypass much of Substance workflow and just bake their GAME models in Blender, opening yet another avenue.

I do not know about others, but I feel a bit wounded egoistically if "impossible" and "Blender" are in same sentence. Userbase should be unshackled. Blender will only benefit with greater artworks and more interest from CG community.
    Last edited by cgstrive; 16-Oct-17 at 03:09.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast