Euclideon (Unlimited Detail Engine) is now working on a holographic table

Our favorite controversial company is at it again. This time, they claim to have produced the world’s first multi-user holographic display, using a technology that only requires one to wear simple glasses.

Before anyone gets excited, here are the things that might make people skeptical over its utility.

• It uses their “Unlimited” Detail engine, they are pushing this to arcades for one thing, hard to do when it can’t do such things as moving objects, view dependent shading, or pretty much anything else that can move and shift.
  • It’s not truly holographic like the marketing material suggests, the holographic effect will vanish if you lower your eyes to be level to the table and the graphics fade out as it nears the edge (far from some of the AR demos which have bulkier gear, but literally give the appearance of generated objects in real spaces).
  • The interview is chock full of market-speak, not like it’s hindering them as they got investors to throw another batch of money to bring it to market. Then there’s the insistence that their previous project is exactly what they advertised it to be (ie. completely ignoring those who pointed out the issues with the claims).

Personally, I’m skeptical that this will even work as advertised simply because of the company behind it.

From now on i’ll start calling an elevator - jetpack, or even better - multi-user atmospheric flotation device

Personally, I’m skeptical that this will even work as advertised simply because of the company behind it.

Yeah, and why doesn’t they push their awesome engine to the market? meanwhile Epic is making the $, pretty much open sourced their engine. I guess they are out of luck on the game engine market.

Also this approach to boardroom meetings, is so crowded there also. This wont fly. Meanwhile M$ has pushed out that huge-ass 50" surface tablet. I recall reading up on it, it basically sold out of production lines due to companies like BMW placing orders of 50.000 of them.

If I where to bet my last $1, I would bet that M$ Holo-lens will crush this idea. Basically the same AR, but you just need a couple for holo lens laying around any meeting table.

Have you seenApples AR? It’s crazy.

Maybe, if Apple makes Glass, better than Google did. They better hurry up though.

I’ll believe Euclideon when I get my download link.

They actually have, just not as a game engine. They have found a market in GIS and their product makes sense there.

The main problem I see with it is that the rendering quality just isn’t that good, even for point/voxel renderers. The reason we use textured triangles isn’t just faster rendering, it also effectively gives you smooth interpolation and pre-filtering (mip-mapping) for “free”, independent of geometry. Their tech needs a lot of supersampling to look good (try finding a non-downsampled image of their tech online, I haven’t) and they can’t do that in realtime on common CPUs, at the resolutions and framerates everyone is used to nowadays.

As for shading, there’s no reason they couldn’t just render out a G-Buffer instead of final colors (like any other deferred render) and have that shaded on the GPU, but again they’ll run into bandwidth issues if it was to happen at high resolution and frame rate.

Then of course there’s the workflow and the tools that are already established. Euclideon (or Atomontage, for that matter) just don’t offer anything that’s compelling enough for adoption.

They actually had a web demo running for a while. Their tech does work.

Didn’t see it don’t believe it.
Kidding of course, but I would like to see the source code for this, but it will probably never happen. This company looks like it’s in it for the money and don’t really care about advancing technology in general.

Yet they are still advertising the engine as revolutionary technology for games (otherwise, they wouldn’t have plans to market their new table to arcades).

Sure it works for certain tasks, but their marketing points and their claimed target market hasn’t changed at all since the birth of the company.

Oh, I’m sure the CEO is still convinced his tech would do miracles for games. It’s his baby, he may not be able to see the problems. Maybe it’s actually people like me who are too focused on quality.

All I can say is that I’ve seen the state of the art for point-based rendering quality and his work isn’t up there. That state of the art is also not necessarily better than what you can do with enough triangles. Their tech is interesting, but the tradeoffs just aren’t good for most games.

Sure it works for certain tasks, but their marketing points and their claimed target market hasn’t changed at all since the birth of the company.

That’s because their marketing approach is to let the CEO talk smugly over a video demonstration of their tech, trolling the tech audience in the process.

It does get a volume of attention most other companies of that size could only dream about and yet it is authentic. It works. We’re talking about their tech right now.

Well, what are they supposed to do? They’re a small company. Of course they need money. Do you believe most great technology comes out of non-profit motives? I would beg to differ.

Oh these guys again

All I have to say is this

I was like, is this Thunderf00t?
Went to YouTube and saw the channel name.
Success.jpeg