Can't unwrap the mesh

I have sculpted a human lips. I did a retopology manually. But I am not able to do UV unwrap.

Don’t know what the problem is. Can you please help?

Attachments

Lips.blend (2.57 MB)

Short answer:

1. In object mode check ‘clipping’ in the mirror modifier, this fuses the model together in the middle. Then click ‘apply’ button to apply the modifier.
  2. tab in edit mode, a to select all ctrl n to recalculate normals, you can see you have flipped normasl (dark shading in the middle)
  3. u choose unwrap.

Long answer: meh, nobody wants the long answer.

Thanks. But still not able to unwrap. I mean. After the second step. I am going into edit mode. I am selecting the lowest edge (all altr+left click). Then marking seam. Then U -> Unwrap.

But nothing happened.

you don’t need to mark any seams, in fact clear all your seams. a to select all (all verts orange) and ctrl e ‘clear seam’ then with all verts selected still hit u, unwrap. OPen a uv image editor, if an image is present hit x to close it, and you will see all of your uvs.

It helped. And I was able to unwrap. Why should I not apply seam in this case?

As I mentioned there is a longer answer, but it kind of involves your goals. Can you elaborate as to what you want your final result to be?

This is just for learning. I know the purpose of marking seam is kind of telling the tool the way to unflod. I mean what to do first, and gradually till the last. That way we can have a predictable unwraped image. We can’t do it randomly, right?

I am asking because I’m new, and have very little knowledge in these.

Why marking seam is not working here?

Seams are used for unwrapping algorithms to unwrap 3-dimension meshes. In your case you don’t really have a 3-d mesh. You have a subdivided plane, but none of your geometry “wraps around” and connects to itself (like a cylinder.) So seams are not necessary.

The long answer is to keep experimenting, and watching tutorials, have fun and create. Have a stroll around blender cookie
there’s always the fun to watch andrew price at blenderguru, and countless others!

Thanks. But for experiment, I have added just a plane. Marked seam. And unwrapped successfully. It’s just a blank plane. If it can unwrap with seam marked. Why not this mesh wont work with seam?

well you can mark seams around the lips, but the bigger question is, why even have the rest of the plane? Why not delete all verts except for the lips themselves?

I did the rest of the plane thinking that if my sculpted mesh is longer with ore geometry, after baking normals and AO maps it might create some problem. Not sure though.

Oh sorry, we can’t mark a single edge as seam of a plane and unwrap. I did select all and unwrapped.

Well the really long answer is this:

1. Sculpt everything in dyntopo, your whole creature, lips included.
  2. Retopologize it , with a low poly version with good edge flow (loops around mouth/eyes …)
  3. unwrap your low poly version
  4. You can continue sculpting using multiresolution on the low poly if you want.
  5. Paint colormaps, and bake normals/etc…

Thank you so much, this helped a lot.

Oh yeah, if you sculpt using dyntopo, start with a cube (3-d object) not a plane (2-d object). It’s very common to take a cube, in edit mode hit w ‘subdivide smooth’, like 2 or 3 times. Then go into sculpt mode, enable dyntopo, change to ‘subdivide collapse’, lower down, enable symmetry on x, switch your brush to snake hook, hit f to resize brush to ~1/3 the size of your cube, and then start pulling out the major forms (2 legs, 2 arms for bi ped) or 4 legs/neck for quadriped…