Modeling a Rifle (Stock and Reciver)

So I’m attempting to model a semiautomatic rifle type of gun and I need some help trying to model the stock and receiver and then make all of the parts merge together into a single object. can this kind of thing be done? and how?

Top: progress on the project. Bottom: the image of the rifle being used as reference.

You might want to have a look at this tutorial to get things back on track;

OK i have a better idea now but I’m still confused on how they where able to make it so that each separate geometry merges into each part seamlessly.

The way they do it is matching up verticies from one object to another so that it is actually seamless. For example a circle with 32 certified would match up nice with a sphere with an equal amount of verticies. Which is why planning out the topology of your work so that you don’t need to add a bunch of unnecessary loop cuts and such to make it match up. But if you are wanting to just have all of the pieces to be one piece you can select all the pieces then press Ctrl+j and join them all together as one object even if they are not attached. As some of the pieces are not truely one solid piece in the real world.

PS if you need an image of what I am talking about I can post some screenshots that might help explain. Once I get back to my laptop.

The first image shows two separate objects created separately, both with 16 set to their vertex count so they match up equally. Then you can press Ctrl+J to join them depending on which order you select the objects is the name it will now give the one object now created with the join shortcut (Ctrl+J)

This second image I selected the faces I didn’t need in edit mode and deleted them. From there they matched up with the other object nicely. Now they are still not connected as one true mesh yet till you merge the verts from the sphere to the circle portion. Select the matching vert from the sphere and select the matching vert of the other mesh and press Alt+M and depending what you want merged where you will have the option of merge at center, first, last (center will merge the two selected verts at the center point between their locations from one another. Last will merge the first vert selected to the location of the last vert selected, and First the same as last but merges at the first selected vert) Once you get all the verts merged you will now have one continuous mesh with nice topology.0

If you are using a subsurf modifier you may need to add edge loops or a bevel whichever you prefer to get a nice harder edge at the corners but being the topology is correct the loops and bevel will work nicely when applied.

thanks I understand what to do now.

PanzerArt, I strongly advise you to not waste your time on trying to convert the regular K98(or in this case M48) into a semi-automatic rifle yourself unless that is what you really want. The reason for this is because there already exists a semi automatic rifle based on K98 design, principal and function and that would be the G41(M)

Here are a few links for it:

http://modernfirearms.net/rifle/autoloading-rifles/de/g41-m-e.html

http://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/36/1582352.html

NOTE: Keep in mind that there are notable differences between G41(M) and G41(W) version.