Non Contiguous errors...

I consider myself to be… adept in the world of blender regarding 3D moddeling, I like to make models to fit technical dimensions to fit stuff.

The only thing that I struggle with or at least struggle to understand is the moment I begin to use the Boolean modifier on a shape that ive been creating myself I run into ALOT! of problems regarding geometry issues which are highlighted using CTRL/ALT/SHIFT/M (see pictures)

I try to use cubes to carve into my existing shape to avoid having to manually move vertices around to do the same thing (thats what its for right?) but 9 times out of 10 it will result in the model having manifold errors, even if the shape makes perfect sense in the human mind (airtight, no crossing tris, no multi verts etc)

I can SOMETIMES get rid of these errors by deleting verts, edges,faces subdividing, refaceing, cleaning up and generally having a real faff on trying to get rid of these errors.

Youll see where ive put holes in (theyre triangular but they were intended to be cylindrical but couldn’t due to this) the geometry consists mostly of tris since its the only way ive found that works to get rid of non contiguous errors and even then it only works sometimes.

The main reason I need a perfect model is that im 3D printing and it wont work with ANY NC errors.

Having to limit myself to faff around with models like this really limits my creativity and its annoyed me to the point of making this post.

Attachments

dragunov BBclip.blend (440 KB)