Going to give Blender a serious try. Any plugin recommendations?

I figure if I toss in some cash, Ill psych myself up even more to learn blender. Ive taken a long break from anything 3D and now I want to jump back in blender. Thus far my goal is character creation.

What I plan to do…

Sculpt in dyno, Retopo, Texture, Rig, Animate.

Simple humanoids, nothing “life like”. I just want to work on something character related and get to know Blender like I do Maya and Zbrush.

I know Blender has pros and cons to doing those. I know people regard Zbrush as a better sculpt tool than Blender but honestly having used both, its really just a different UI. Blender sculpting feels solid and I never use anything fancy anyway. So Blender it is for me.

So what plugins should I support? Ive seen bpainter which seems like just what I need for hand texture painting. Other than that, im lost. No idea what to get for sculpting (if anything) or retopo. Rigging I plan to do my own. Any suggestions on what to grab?

Ive been searching around and I do find lots of plugins but some videos are dated. No idea whats “current”.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Hi, there are many usefull addons, but for start, you might think about investing into blender cloud to support general blender development and to get started faster with the tutorials available.

aaand to mention my addon, which isn’t for sculpting, but can improve your speed of work quite a lot:

Sculpting:

Retopo:

Rigging:

Workflow:

For rigging I prefer rigify, included in the addons with Blender itself, very robust and feature filled rig, plus is as easy to use as CAT or HIK
For the rest, I don’t really know since I’m also starting with Blender and it has a lot of awesome addons, some of them are included with it, just check the list, but before know the tools that exists inside Blender itself, you may miss just a few tools/addons

cheers!

RigStar is an interesting addon that solves problem with joints in a rig.

Is rigify modular? As in would I be able to make non-humanoids with it? I dont have much experience with rigify.

You can easily check it yourself from the latest build. But yes, Rigify is extendable and it has ready to use extensions: human, quadruped, bird, cat, horse, shark and wolf. It’s pretty awesome. I have a custom rig for head+face, so I use rigify-human and then join my head rig and reparent my head bone to rigify spine bone.

what does your face rig do better than rigify’s?.. well probably everything rigifys facial rig is bs, Id really like to help them make a better one :D, can we test out yours?