The Dog Joke

OK! I always liked this joke so I thought I would put it to a Blender animation. I turned down hair as low as I could so I could get fairly quick renders. In some parts of the video, a few light bald spots appeared. I used three different types of rigs. Won’t do that again, it made animation very hard. Floppy ears are a b***** to animate. I think I could do a lot better job on that next time. Longest render time was about 4 minutes and the average was only 2:32. This was done with cycles.

Enjoy it.

I heard of this joke too but it was a bit different at the end. Now, I have some issues I would like to address. Number one, the buildings on the sidewalk. I think that the character walking down the sidewalk is a bit too big in accordance to the size of the character. The sidewalk could also be improved by bringing texture pattern closer together. Number two is that there’s really nothing on the other side of the street and the stretched skybox is unattractive. I would have created another block or two just to hide that. Near the end of the video, there are signs of Z fighting on the character’s jacket and on the sidewalk. They reveal themselves in quick flashes in the textures.

The animations could be improved on the human characters. References are your best bet to improve. On the dog, however, my only concern is about the tail. It can move faster than that.

Those are my thoughts about it.

Thanks.

“Near the end of the video, there’s are signs of Z fighting on the character’s jacket and on the sidewalk. They reveal themselves in quick flashes in the textures”

Guessing, would that be camera limits or possibly overlapping geometry? Any way to prioritize the Z distance calculation by face in Blender with any settings?

PS I’m still trying.

Z Fighting is a common occurrence in any 3d Modeling Software but it is noticed in animation because 2 or more textures “fight” over that the camera sees. The cause over the phenomenon is normally overlapping geometry. Go back into the scene and delete the extra faces that the camera not will show and delete them.