Normal and Spec (?) maps nodes

I don’t know if this is the correct place, but here:

I was playing with the cycles normal map nodes and tried to reproduced it on the BGE. (The normal map node from cycles goes from 0 to 10.000, the one from BI and BGE too, but we have to do some tricks). So I think, I don’t know how, or if it’s correct, or even if its the same from cycles or even if somebody has already done or asked this before, maybe the “same effect” and I say that because I already spotted that in BI the rendering don’t get the same effects, but on BGE it’s ok (I guess).

I think I also found a way for making AO through nodes, “probably” with some kind of glitch with the vector nodes.

Ah and the specular too, but I think specular wasn’t so much unknow and hard like normal maps (I guess) and had some various nodes for it.

So I am posting the file too here with the nodes and etc, in case I forget how to do or I lost the file. Please take a look, share your thoughts, (tell me more about it if somebody has already done it) or even make improvements.

wood_floor2.blend (527 KB)

Edit: If this thread must be at Game Engine Suport and Discussion I apologize, really

Set the Colorspace of the Normal Texture to non-color or place a gamma node with 0.454545 (1/2.2) between the normal texture and the normal map node

Well, I’ve tried what you said. Didn’t get the part of Colorpace of the Texture to Non-color, since only in Cycles we can change that, but maybe that node works in BGE. Also the gamma node between the normal texture and the normal map node, made the normals being part black or something like that, probably that can be managed with the normal node.

So I plugged the gamma node after the normal map node, and I think it kinda worked, the “glossiness” of the normal could be hmm better “controlled”.

Also just add some kind of AO node and now I put some frames to better understandment.

wood_floor3.blend (503 KB)

You forgot to pack the texture.

Oh, I didn’t know I have to do that e.e But now I think the textures are packed.

Now the archive is 14 MB

wood_floor4.blend (14.4 MB)

But on how much it is advisable to use the Tiff format? Often you do not need too much … 16-bit image.
A good shader.

Well, I think tiff are good for displacement and normal maps, since it has more colors informations so the computer when looking at it can have more understandment. And are good, hi-rez images (I think).

What I can say is that I just downloaded the textures from cgtextures so I wouldn’t need to work on a separete texture. It was on the scan category (on cgtextures) because it have all the texture maps, and they upload the scan textures in tiff format.

But then I make some maps too, but I didn’t tried it yet with the nodes, but I will and I’ll upload here too. I think jpeg can handle it.

Here a try with png textures:

And the blend file:

wood_floor5.blend (1.51 MB)

I hope the textures are packed.

These one are not behaving like the first one textures, I think it’s because the way the maps were created. I used Awesome bump to make it and I am still learning how to do it properly to create good maps as the tiff ones. Anyway I am gonna see If I can use the normal map generator online and crazybump to make more tests too and also use another scan texture from cgtexture, maybe a brick one.

I am going to see after if i can implement parallax, displacement and/or surface imperfactions (or black and White scratches, if I can say)

Setting gamma to 1/2.2 will not convert sRGB to linear color space. That is not the same as setting it to non-color data and should not be used as a replacement of the actual setting needed for normal maps to work as they are intended. They should always be set to non-color data and nothing else.

How could I put it to be non color so? The only way is on the texture influence panel?

If it’s possible to do the same thing with nodes, do you know any way how?

And does the nodes needs to do it? Because I tested right now and just realized (maybe) that the normal maps become non color when using the corrects vector nodes, and also I tested applying a spec map, just a simple geometry node and the texture node conected to the spec input for the diffuse material, and at first, as it appears (maybe) is just like the same as putting the spec in influence panel and checking all the specular boxes:

And what more is needed(or is missing) to the normal map nodes to get a better aproximation with the “cycles” normal map node?