Particle Trees with Leaf Particle Instances ?

I’m trying to create as many palm trees as I want. I’ve modelled the tree with modelled branches, on the branches I’ve used a hair particle system for the leaves and used a particle instance to get an object to bend along the hairs. Thing is, I have to specify which particle system within the leaf shape’s particle instance, so I’d end up having to duplicate the leaf shape including the particle instance to get it onto another branch.

Is this right or am I going at it wrong ?

Blender does not have a great node system and cache system for particles that would allow a great flexibility in use of particles.

So, whatever you are trying to achieve : try to make simplest final scene as possible.
If you are using particles to model something, I would say things are always simple. You can convert particles to mesh or apply modifier and always obtain one object as final result.

If you are using particles to do a physics simulation of wind blowing into leaf : avoid complex set-up with a tremendous amount of particles system.
If you want an alley of dozen of palm trees, one particle system per branch is a bad idea.

You can create a branch mesh from a particle system from a particle instance modifier by applying the modifier.
Then, you can create a cloth simulation on this branch mesh and export it and reuse this simulation with delay by using a mesh cache modifier on a duplicate of branch. 2.79 surface deform could help, too. Curves have softbodies and can be used by a Curve Deform modifier.
Or you can create one simulation for the whole tree or use hair+particle instance solution at branch level and not at leaf level.
Sapling addon which helps to produce trees creates an armature rig.
When one tree is animated in one blend, you can link or append a group made of the tree and and its animation inside final scene.

Maybe you can find a better workflow, but probably your machine will not handle easily a huge simulation.
So, you have to study what bias are acceptable for required quality and which ones are easily manageable.
It is up to you to test different things and keep the more decent result but don’t stay stuck on hair particles ,just because you have long ribbons shapes to animate.

Shall take into consideration, thanks.