"Anxiety" - Human Face Practice

Hey guys!

I somehow made one more face!:confused: I tried to take it one level further in comparison to the last one. I really want to do something that’s a little more different next time. :wink:

Rendered with Cycles 600 samples, no Denoiser this time, I found that it removed the SSS from the sides of the head.
I’m very happy with the final result!

you can try to finish a complete face and try to go more anatomically correct, you have the technical part solve, now you need other skills to make a full realistic head. Keep it up!

“Anatomically correct” is a weird term when we talk about human face. I have worked as a photographer in a small crappy photostudio some time ago and used to make passport and visa photos… When you look through a thousand or two of photographs with faces of random people from the street in the exact same position in a row you are left speachless! (and tired of it because it takes a very long time if you decide to go for it :smiley: ) I have seen anatomy books before, but after that job I would never dear to comment in any art forum on anatomical correctness of any face anymore. They differ so much it is hard to believe. I wish it was somehow ethical for me to share those photos, but it most deffinately would not be.

Thanks for your comments! :slight_smile:
@Tonatiuh Yup, I really want do to something different, not that I intended making something so similar to the last one, it just turned out to be so. Why not try a young woman next time? That would surely be a challenge!

@MartinZ Interesting, those photos must be quite good reference I guess, though I guess you still would consider this face to be rather stylistic/cartoonish.

That skin shader is really nice! Keep up the good work man! :smiley:

@MartinZ: I´m going to go on a little rant here. Obviously I mean no offense, I just want to make a strong case for why using the term is actually really important. “Anatomical correctness” refers to having all the features present in a representation of a human face which are common among all humans no matter how large the general variance between overall shapes or the look of certain features. In simple terms: If you sculpt a human face without nostrils, than that face is anatomically incorrect. If you sculpt a face which has no eyesocket/ supporting structure for the eyes, than that is anatomically incorrect. (such a thing cannot exist in real life because of gravity) If you sculpt eyelids in a way that they are unable to close properly than (unless the person that is represented, had a serious injury or deformity) that is also anatomically incorrect. If your features have too sharp edges or too flat planes, if the eyes are bigger than your mouth, if your nose is tiny and located on your forehead, that is obviously anatomically incorrect aswell. I know I´m getting ridicolous :wink: It is important to use the term “anatomical correctness” in order to highlight and discuss areas of potential improvement if ones goal is to achieve realism.

I do get the point of what you wrote, which is, that the term “anatomically correct” often is being abused by artistically uneducated people in a way which implies that only the neat and beautiful proportions represented in textbooks are “anatomically correct”, but that sad fact should not stop us from using the term the correct way, ever! So please do dare to comment on anatomical correctness, you make people improve their art by doing so! :slight_smile:

@MartinZ I don’t know how much anatomy knowledge you have, or if you know about the “bell curve” but you just described what it is, there is a normal deviation and extreme deviation in each side of the curve, and all of them are anatomically correct, even if some can be seen as aberrations and even if they are not functional anatomy. But as PixelPete said anatomically correct is something that really exist. Even if you do a cyclope you should do it anatomically correctly, or it will look weird, and most persons will point out that something is wrong.
Anatomy is a huge thing, I ones had a patient that didn’t have acetabulofemoral joint, and even so she could actually walk because the trochanter mayor was hold by the gluteus medium and maximus, but that is a extreme case and if I saw here in a draw I will think that something is wrong (actually it was really problematic for her), you can draw something like that, but if you do that it has to be a choice not because you just forgot some anatomical body part, if you want to be serious about realism you should know some anatomy, basic but some, or use good references.
The problem to use references and not have anatomy knowledge is that you can interpret something that you see in a reference in a wrong way, and make a mistake, that is the reason that you need good observational skills and some anatomy knowledge.
Anyhow, I am a pour artist (artistically pour??) and I just love anatomy, so… I’m bias.

Since you mention creating something that’s more anatomically correct, could you point out anything that’s anatomically incorrect on this model? (So I can keep that in mind while creating the next model…)

I am no expert in anatomy I have just spent a great deal of time looking at photographs of people faces while retouching portraits. Well, OK, I think I can see something off about the eyes as well that might not be that likely even in most extreme cases when I look at it closer - might be a bit of my bad - lack of attention to detail, I suppose there is nothing to disagree about your responses, PixelPete and Tonatiuh. I just think it’s still quite common to fail to realize just how much human physiology can actually differ from standard average. Having seen a bit of it I am amazed. However this all discussion makes me wonder. At the moment I quite like it that the image sends sort of a mixed message - it looks really realistic because of the textures and the shader (I really like the unfinished viewport render more at the moment) and yet it’s not realistic at the same time. I really enjoy that conflict actually when you first see it and it makes you stop and process what is going on. Maybe it would be just as interesting to see the stylization pushed to a bit more extreme as it would be with a more anatomically correct version.

Well I made a gif to show my point, of course it is my version, and it is subjective, but as you can see the eye improve a lot, because the eyelids and the separation to the nose, and the way the eyelids connects is more “anatomically correct” I made changes also to the inner corner of the eye, because it goes to the nose to find the bone. There is a pathology that makes the eye go like the one you made were the lower eyelid goes down, but in that case it has a separation from the eye.
Also the nose gain realism because the cartilage make more sense, before it was a tube going back, and now it has more human like form. also the nastrolabial fold is more natural now, and respect more the way it folds and deforms by the gravity.
There is probably to little folds in the skin it looks old but there are parts of the skin that looks young skin. The pores are different from one part of the face to another, in this case they are almost the same, the texture of the nose is not normally like that.
There are a lot more things like the fat pads that are missing and in old person are visible. but I think you can see my point.
You can improve a lot if you just study more anatomy and try to have a deep look at references.
But that is just my thinking, and I’m not an proper artist (lack of formal education)

And the Iwarp version:

Thanks for your detailed answer! :slight_smile: It did look a lot better after your change. I did actually not use any references for this one, it’s stupid to go without. :wink: I’m using loads of reference for my next project(young woman),would be cool if you could share your thoughts on her as well!

Glad to help! you will rock and roll if you work with references, and start looking for anatomical knowledge. Then one day you will not need so much to have references, but you will use then anyhow, because it helps a lot. at the start is better to have just references from one person, then you can start mixing persons, and then you can mix spices :wink:

Also check my human proportions wip, it has really awesome tips from PixelPete, i think you can learn a lot there.