Two Story House Exterior

Hey Guys! It’s time for me to get serious about Blender. I have been playing around with the program off and on for about 5 years but want to turn it into a career. In the picture below I am not too happy with the grass and the bump mapping did not seem to come out that great. Any further critiques you guys have, suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

HI Stavson,

1- You should use correct techniques to uv unwrapping objects.
2- Sharp edges at the brick corners?
3 - missing geometry?
4 - Is that window blind or just the wall?
5 - imo This window should be higher.

You need to work with the shaders - because they looks really unrealistic. Check some new videos about making materials - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH6XPsEmozk

Good luck!

Thanks! That was super helpful. I forgot to fix the UV mapping but addressed the other things. What did you mean by ‘missing geometry’?

Okay, so I corrected most of it but when trying to correct the UV unwrap I am having some issues. When you select the everything from the front and select “project from view” it is not correcting the texture. I have even tried manipulating the UV map to completely distort it and it does not affect the texture at all. Any thoughts?

hey,
some extra information to crack up the realism.
zorian said it before, the corners of the walls are never flat. walls exist out of bricks and cement. cement has a offset of around 1 cm of the bricks. also put a bevel modefier on the corners. nothing has a perfect 90degree corner.

futher some architectural tips,

• i liked the building better without the corner stones, these stones take the focus away from the pillars.
  • walls exist out of different layers. 10 cm stone, 20 cm isolation, 10 cm stone. windows lay in the isolation layer so the windows need a offset of 10 cm of the wall.
  • the last tip: the window on the floor above the door looks weird. it should have the same dimensions as the door(with side windows). also these kind of windows are ceiling height, so the arch should be heigher.

the problem with the UV is caused by the transformation of the window. to fix it, exclude the window out of the mesh and use a boolean modefier to form the hole.

good luck!!!

Thanks again! Especially about the windows! I will try to correct that in the next day or two.

I mean there is missing roof. I never saw this kind of roof construction. It is uneconomical and makes some issues with water outflow from the roof. Currently the whole water from the right sise of this roof is coming directly at your wall.

Something like this:

maybe a idea to turn the roof of the left builing? Zorian is right about the roof, and in adition it would give a better balance to the buidling itself. it gives a front look to all the facades instead only the front.