2.79 Builds crash when loading with previous settings

I’ve been playing with various 2.79 test builds over the past couple of weeks. Last Thursday, I launched Blender on my home PC (Windows 10) and it immediately quit before the main window loaded. I couldn’t get it to get past that. Messing around with my saved preferences (C:\Users&lt;user>\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender), I determined that Blender would only open if I removed all the contents of the <i>2.79\config folder. Once I did so, of course Blender was essentially running stock preferences, but everything seems to work.

I updated Blender at work yesterday (not thinking), and now I have the same problem there (Windows 7 Professional).

I still have my 2.78 preferences, but if I import them Blender starts crashing at load again.

Is there a way to determine what the problem might be, or how I might be able to save my old preferences? I’d really prefer not to have to go through and re-set all my preferences, re-create my startup file, and re-enable all my add-ons.

I seem to have figured it out. I deleted my entire \scripts\addons folder and Blender started without an issue with my existing settings. So I copied over all my addons in small batches, and would then launch the app to see if it crashed. In the end, the following addons were the culprits:

• Animation Nodes
  • Bevel after Boolean
  • Code Autocomplete
  • Smart Fill
  • Tabs Interface

I’ll keep my eye out for updates to these, and maybe contact the authors.

1 Like