Second try, Mercedes 300SL

Hi all,

as promised , here is my second Blender project. I tried to apply some of the tips you gave me in the Mustang thread, although I didn´t use any shrinkwrapping. Might be a better practice to try modelling without any “cheats” for the beginning :wink:
I hope you can see some progress in comparison to the Mustang.
After the first Renders I noticed some dents and bumps, I´ll fix them as soon as I´ve got the overall look and “feel” done.
Feel free to criticize, I´m happy for every Feedback!

Could you post the wireframe? It looks like it needs more edge loops and such.

Sure, here is a wireframe :

I thought it might be a good practice trying to achieve the basic shape with as less vertices as possible.

Cars from the 1950s always look like they need more edge-loops. :slight_smile:

You may want to clean up those bonnet gaps or lines if you like.

Some progress. Tried to fix the hood, thank you for the hint. I haven´t even noticed that before :wink:

The tires are just a quick test, I will improve them later. The window “encirclements” took quite some time, they turned out to be the most painful part to model so far. I used a black plane for the inside to prevent strange reflections in the windows, maybe I´ll give the interior a try later on

Looks really cool :slight_smile:

hey!
Defintely great improvement compared to your first attempt of car modeling.
I wish I was progressing that fast :wink:

What I noticed when looking at your wireframe ist, that you need to tweak every vertex of the edge loop you added, otherwise it will leave you with an harder curve than you might wanted. ( I tried to picture it with the blue line and the yellow dots^^)
The parts marked in red may also need some tweaking.

And I totally agree with you that the “encirclements” are a total pain in the a**. :smiley:
Here is how i am currently modeling this part:

• First I duplicate the windshield and leave it exactly where it is.
  • Go into edit mode, select everything and press “i” to inset.

• Add a Solidify modifier, change the settings to your liking and apply it.
  • Remove the faces as shown in the Screenshot, or add an edge loop to make the edge sharper, so it sits tight to the window and doesnt look like a noodle :wink:

If you want to tweak manually you can enable snapping by pressing the “magnet”, “snap to faces” and “project individual elemets” (circled in red).
    The selected vertices will then “snap” to next face, depending to the point of view.

maybe there is an easier method, but this gave me the best results for now.

Looking forward to see more!

greets,
Bernhard

Sounds like a good method! I think I chose the most uncomfortable way : Add a cylinder, cut it in half, shape it , extrude extrude extrude and then tweak,move and rotate the single parts until they fit :wink:

Any other things that come to your mind which I should Change/improve?

I will have a look on the marked Areas , but I´m pretty sure that I already fixed some of them. The wireframe I posted was a very Basic shape to begin with. I cut out the single parts like doors, Windows, Hood and worked on them seperatly. I will post an updated wireframe later.

And I forgot to mention it early, thank you Strapazie for the Paint Shader! :slight_smile:

Just a minor Updated, added some details and changed the color slightly. First time working with Booleans on those side openings, turns out they can be quite some pain :wink: