Woman portrait - Your thoughts are welcome!

Hi, I started sculpting this woman today and wish to hear you thoughts! I’m happy with her so far, and I feel ready to go over to polishing and retopologising the head. Please say if you see something that’s off! :slight_smile:

Hey there!
Nice one! I think it need some more work if you are going for realism. Lets go from primary forms first:

1. the skull is flat on the top! that is very very strange. The frontal bone is not define, and it is just a round mesh.
  2. The angle of the face is also strange, it does not seem to be attach to the skull, like she is looking up but the skull is strait.
    Secondary forms:
  3. the neck need some study specially the sternocleid muscle and the front part in the hioid bone area.
  4. the attach of the sternocleid muscle to the clavicle need some work also.
  5. the eye, the upper lid is “always” more prominent than the lower eyelid, that is because the eye is not a perfect sphere.
  6. the nose bridge is to uniform, some anatomical study of the bones and cartilage will help you.
  7. in the mouth the normal thing is that the upper lip is more prominent than the lower, because of the teeth. but in some cases is not so…
  8. There is not cigomatic arch visible, it is normally some kind of indication.
  9. The ear is not well attach to the side of the face, some research will help. especially the top and front attachments.

Sorry for the bad english.

Man you really do see things under a different light!:smiley: Gotta check out what all those bones and muscles are! Thanks!

Your english is fine by the way!

Yes… I have a curse… now I can’t not see flaws everywhere… but also when I see a master piece… oh man… I really enjoy!!!

I checked you portfolio! impressive stuff! I hope I had some of your skills hehe.

Tried to implement all the things you mentioned! :slight_smile: Better or worse?

Hehe, hope to make you enjoy this one! :wink:
Thanks man! I should update it, there are some stuff there that I think isn’t very good.

Hum… hehe the neck… nope near the ears and the angle of the mandible it is just wrong hehe you can relax all that anatomy and fix the insertion of the sternocleid muscle in the temporal bone (mastoid apophysis) Check this oneI made.
the ear is better, it can be improve :slight_smile:
I can see the zygomitic arch but the implementation is… well… hehe
The face is more in his place, but the top of the skull is weird.
The eyes are still to flat, you need to bump the cornea, lower the uperlid and the lowerlid so the upper one goes to the front. also the iner angle of the eye needs some lacrimal and membraing stuff, and the unión of the lids have to go to the nose but not in the same plane as the external one, more in front, the iner one climbs the nose.
There is a masive flaw :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: in the nose, where the nose meet the lips, you need to implement there the cylinder of the mouth, right now is flat, so the nostrils are in the same line as the origin of the medial cartilage.
On the frontal bone… research frontal zygotic process, it is completely missing!

If you can please post your references, so I can help you more.

Some tips for references:
For the skull if you have windows you can download this
Also check this out, they areimages of scans.
Here you can find some more pictures of people (search for the free stuff)
Use pinterest for searching references also: [=planes%20of%20the%20head%7Ctyped"]planes of the head](https://es.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=planes%20of%20the%20head&rs=typed&term_meta[)
For charapter desing

Attachments

Here is the Purereference file, (had problems finding the references I was using once again(on Pinterest)). :slight_smile: Those to the right are the ones I want to mimic the most! I wish I could see anatomy with your eyes man! It’s not completely easy for me to grasp. :wink:

Well, I don’t know if I messed up, or just messed up…

Ok, I have seen your references, and there is a problem in there… to difficult to start, to many different women and not good references photos, you only need 4 or 5 of the same women: front, side, 3/4 or 2/3 one as much from the top as you can, and one from below as much as you can. chose one women and use that!!!

Ok! I decided for you, use this as reference! you have the hole body, face, extremities, body everything you will need.
Make it easy the first time, then you will do difficult things.
You don’t need to try a likeness just use here as reference. also in there you have anatomical references also, I think is from a course or something similar. Lets see if you can start seen and really use the references.
If you can make a pureref and post it here, so I see if you are not going with too much references