Blur effect doesn't show in compositor with Z Combine

I’m trying to use 2 render layers in the compositor with blur effects on the second layer (blue lights), and although it shows with the Z Combine, the glare and glow of the light doesn’t spill out all over the other objects like it should.

Here’s what I’m talking about:

Basically, I want the individual lights to stay where they are in the background, but I want the blur and glare to show in the foreground. This node setup did the proper effect on another light in my .blend file, so I’m not sure why it’s not working in this case.

Thanks

Z combine is kind of On/Off merge, it won’t work on blurred alpha. Try with an alpha over instead or a mix in screen/add…
You can use renderlayer mask options to cut your second layer and then you don’t need Zcombine anymore.

When I try alpha over it either puts the entire second layer in front (including the lights and blur effect) or it shows no lights at all (if I switch the order of sockets). When I use screen or add, it essentially does the same thing (shows second layer completely with the lights not being blocked by objects in front. Feel like there’s something really obvious I’m missing, but not sure what it could be…

Got it! Just had to mask layer 1 in the render layers panel. Now I see what you meant by render layer mask options. Thanks!

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Compositing and Post Processing”