Another Hardware post...

Hi peeps…

I’m looking to up my game and get really focussed on animation and modelling to a more pro standard…

Firstly… I’m not looking for “buy this card/rig/parts”

What I want to know is what i need to look for in parts to help me find the right stuff for my modelling/animation.

What do i need in a CPU for the best rendering and processing? (i.e. is it cache or hyperthreads or what that makes the difference??)
What do i need in a GFX card for the best rendering or is CPU better for rendering?
What Chipset on a motherboard should i be looking at rather than brand - i.e. what makes it work better?

I don’t really have a budget in mind at the minute as i’ll probably do it slowly and upgrade my current rig as i go…

The reason for asking this is that when i upgrade i always seem to go the wrong way with the parts i buy…

Rig:
AMD 8350
Gigabyte 990fx-ud3
32gb ram (can’t remember the speed now…)
Gigayte 970gtx 4gb

Various hdd’s that don’t really matter…

I am currently running windows 10 too so any hacks & tips for that would also be a help!

Also interested in possibly watercooling too as i’ve heard it’s better for overclocking… again… i don’t know how to overclock to get the best performance…

I can build pc’s no problem but i’m not sure what bits of specs that i need to be looking at to get the best performance…

Cheers peeps… also… if theres a link somewhere that explains all this please post it… I always feel stupid AF when asking these questions…

Thanks for moving this admins! Sorry for putting it in the wrong place!!

Hi, as you work on animation I would go for the best CPU you could afford.
Blender has to rebuild the scene for every frame, at huge scenes prepairing a scene need a lot CPU power.
Building the scene and render are multi threaded, therefore the new AMD Ryzen 8 - 16 Core CPU are fine for Blender/Cycles.
You need complete new board, ram and so forth but your GPU is fine and supply and other parts should work too.

Cheers, mib

Hi, Thanks for the feedback… sorry ittook so long to reply… my notifications seem to not work or i’ve set them up wrong…

I keep seeing the 2x xeon cpu’s… is that going to work out cheaper/faster than the rysen? it doens’t have to be as fast if it’s considerably cheaper…