Trick for increased rendering speed.

I tried this trick to see if it would work and I got some cool results.

I was rendering an animation where I have three computers with double GPU’s. On each of the machines I was rendering a frame at about 2:03 using 256x256 squares. So I opened another instance of blender on one of the computers and set it to work on the same animation but I had it render using a fixed number of threads at 6 threads of the 12 available. Then started it. The first instance slowed to about 2:08 per frame but the second instance is adding an additional frame every 9:48 so now I am making roughly six frames in 10 minutes instead of 5 frames. That is a 20% increase if I set it up on all three computers!

Just thought I would share and see if anyone else has experimented with this.

That’s a basic renderfarm set up. Each PC takes part of the rendering process so it can speed up the render time. It is also established that depending on the number of tiles can also increase the speed of the process as well. It has been done before.

I don’t know if I made it clear. I have each computer running two instances of blender on it . One instance is using the gpu and the other is using the cpu.

If they are linked together on a network and they are rendering the same file, it still sounds like a render farm.