Suddenly my wifi become ultra slow

Turns out some device I can’t recognize showed up on my router’s client list after I reset the router while I set the SSID and password to the original.

Hehe… I can’t believe stealing WIFI is actually a thing. Glad my router is capable of filtering MAC addresses.

filtering mac addresses is not a form of security. I suggest making sure your WIFi is on WPA / WPA2 with a secure password

Wonderful advice. But for me that would be one step backward.

Check your service provider? As time goes one, they will usually get more and more customers that they cut your bandwidth you are paying for…

you use default passwords and wonder why people steal your wifi?

Guys, you do realize that the OP’s last post in this thread is a year old, right? Whatever happened to his WiFi is either solved by now or unsolvable.

1 Like

Yeah, but since it did pop back out from the dead, I’d also like to chime-in with one important piece of advice: “keep your router’s firmware up-to-date.” From time to time the vendor will produce updates, particularly security updates but sometimes also performance-related. Remember that your router is “on the front line of the battlefield.”

When you buy something from the store, you’ve no idea how new or how old the software is; therefore, update it the first time as you install it. Then, every three months or so, check to see if the vendor has posted a new file on their website. As soon as a new file appears, download and apply the update. (If they let you “register” your e-mail address to receive automatic notifications, do so. If the equipment can update itself automagically, use that.)

(P.S.: Someone “off-line” asked me if I thought that “automagic updates” were safe. I would say, “yes,” because so far as I know the updates are always digitally signed by the manufacturer, and this signature is checked by the device. An update that didn’t come from an authentic source and/or that was altered should not be something that the device would ever automatically apply. And it’s very desirable that an update be applied just as soon as it is available, without requiring any intervention from you.)

Other security-related “best practices” have already been discussed everywhere.

Why would anyone dig this post up is the question I’m repeating in my head for the last 5 minutes.

Everything is fine. I had passwords for my network(what kind of joke would I be if I didn’t?). My family had actually given out the password to my neighbor once, and they kept using it. They can’t anymore after sometime last year.

I prefer to just use SSID with a secure password for the wifi. My primary computer is connected with the router through Ethernet cable so 0% possibility for wifi signal interference. Using Mac Address was pretty secure in my humble opinion, because any devices that are not registered with your router will not successfully connect. But the bad part of it is, any time a friend visits, I had to add their mac-address.

@rtgggg50, My ISP is very good and responsible, they email all customers with a notice before they fiddle around anything near your internet service location. I’m on 40Mbps download. In rush hours I never got less than 35, and when the network isn’t busy I get 55 all the time.

@wolfie138, No. They knew the password all along. Assuming they were stealing my Wifi was my mistake.

@IkariShinji, Nice name. And bravo to you for noticing the time-stamp.

@sundialsvc4, Who would’ve guessed, there was a firmware update on my router in July and I totally missed it.