How can I pop out a Context button in a new Window ?

Hi

The Properties Editor shows several tabs, which can be chosen via the icon row in the header.

Those tabs, can you pop one of them out into it’s own separate window ?

I know this commands:

• Hold down shift when you split a view by dragging a corner marker.
  • Or use the View / ‘Duplicate Area into New Window’ menu item.

But like to popup MATERIAL using a hotkey
bpy.context.space_data_context = MATERIAL

Any help is very welcome.

Thx in advance.

What are you trying to do?

I work using duplicate area into new window in my startup file, is great.
It is inconvenient to click on the main window and the duplicate areas remain in the background of another open application.

I want to create a window equal to hypershade of maya and use a hotkey to open it by letting it float.

If its possible, I will be very grateful if someone teaches me how to do it.
Thx

It is a little bit against the idea of Blender’s interface. It’s meant to not have windows blocking each other. A lot of things are designed around that idea so if you decide to go against it, you might face a lot of obstacles. Maya’s interface is designed with very different ideas. It might be easier to just use Maya instead of trying to script Maya out of Blender. If you decide to go for Blender, you might as well try to enjoy the advantages it provides. They only become apparent when you adapt to the ideas that come with it. It does not mean you cannot improve your interaction with Blender. But it is kind of important to know what kind of problems you want to solve then. If you wanted to have quick access to some parts of the interface you can script menus, pie menus, pop up dialogs with parts that you need. You can also set up the existing interface in more convenient ways. For example it’s a very nice idea to be able to switch between Properties Editor and Outliner with a keyboard shortcut:
https://s26.postimg.org/q09wgiavd/Capture.jpg

You can do a lot of stuff to make your life easier. I am unable to advise on your specific situation since you are not revealing what sort of problems in your workflow you are trying to solve here. Blender does not have Maya’s Hypershade. Maya’s Hypershade can be used for so many different purposes it’s really unclear what you are after. You can even work with shape nodes there to do procedural adjustments to some geometry for all I know. You can replicate a lot of the functionality in Blender, but some things are done in a very different manner in very different parts of the interface even using different terminology and concepts.

Thank you for your detailed help.
I want to do it in my work to help the adoption of Blender among my coworkers more easy.
We use 2 monitors.

If you described the exact functionality you are after it’s possible I or somebody else might help more.

In my work all come from Maya background, They got quite used to being able to open Maya Hypershade’s window and see all the materials of the scene at a glance. However, in Blender it appears that the Materials tab only shows the materials that are assigned to the active object. Is there a way to preview the material for all materials in a scene?

Currently, the only place I can find the materials added to my scene is in the outline in block data mode, which shows me that there are materials in my scene but I can not preview them or check easily if the textures have loaded correctly.

I want to create a window equal to hypershade of maya and use a hotkey to open it by letting it float to make migration easier.

Thx !

There are plugins for that like for example Matalogue(free). However I would like to encourage you to question and think about the actual importance and significance of this feature of having a window with all scene materials displayed and it’s value for your workflows. I too come from many years of using Maya and I do indeed remember how hard it was to stop using some sort of material library because I was so used to it. However at least my experience is that in realty most of the time a simple list of materials like the one in Properties Editor’s Material tab is in fact fully enough to work comfortably and having that grid with all the thumbnails of spheres might not be best representation of the materials anyway. I now do not feel like any parts of my workflow like ease of work or the speed and quality suffered at all because I stopped using something like hypershade. I am not saying that getting used to new way of working was easy. It took some learning and adjusting. I think plugins like Matalogue might be useful for the transition from another package, but in general I think it’s a good idea to try things as they are and then when one is fully familiar with how it works if some extra functionality is needed think about adding it, but it should be done when needed and in order to make work more efficient, easier and faster and not only because “I was used to doing things another way in another software package”. You got me thinking that it might be nice to have more tools for material management in the viewport while working, maybe a pie menu or something… There is this paid plugin Pie Menu Editor. Seems to do magic when it comes to making functionality more easily accessible - might be worth having a look.

I would just be a little worried that if you try to make some hack to replace hypershade and fail (which is likely, because hypershade is a really powerful tool in Maya) that might prevent people from realizing that a lot of it’s functionality can be replaced in Blender. You cannot expect the workflow to be the same in Maya and in Blender and in order to see how you get away without hypershade in Blender the workflow needs to be changed. If it’s not changed and one expects to be able to work the same way as in Maya there will be 1000 other things that ‘don’t work’ in Blender. I am afraid it seems one just has to be prepared for a few drastic changes when migrating. I can only try to encourage you by saying - hey, it works, at least it worked for me I did it and survived. :slight_smile:

I thank you very much for sharing your experience and point of view :slight_smile: