Having trouble getting glare effect on 2nd layer

So, I have this white torus that I’m trying to apply a glare effect to. I first had it on the same layer as everything else and tried the ID mask, but that seems to only work when you have only an emission material. When you mix it with another material, no luck. So, I stuck it on another layer and got the layers to mix fine, but I’m getting no glare effect. Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

Have you tried to repeat the glare node several times? Also u might want to change Medium to High.

Adding more glare nodes or changing the quality changes the color or the torus a little, but it’s like it’s unable to show any glare coming off of the torus.

Can you provide a (simplified) .blend file? That might help.

In creating a simplified file, I realized that the blur is working, but only on a black background. Doesn’t work with any colors behind it.

Redemption simple.blend (983 KB)

Add a map range node between render layer and glare node and tweak with the ‘To Max’ value.

Makes it brighter but does nothing to add glare over other colors.

colors on the same layer i assume? Have you read this: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/57816/how-do-i-get-the-glare-node-to-output-transparent-instead-of-black-background?