Export nightmare!

Hey all,

I have to admit I’m a bit of a newbie to blender, but I thought I’d post regarding some major problems I’ve been having trying to export to any file format!

I’m trying to create some models for a game I’m writing, and the formats I’m using are 3ds and MD3.

now, I’ve managed to create a nice looking simple zombie model, but when trying to export (using Blender 2.37) to 3ds, I end up with something that looks nothing like my model.

I have searched for help on google and within several forums, but to no avail! I also notice that the uvmapping is not exported. Now in my defence I have ensured that all objects are merged into one, I ahve made sure that the object is selected and I have converted all quads into triangles. No matter what I do, the resultant model appears to have the vertices in roughly the right place, although it is difficult to tell. The triangles however are really messed up, and it is impossible to discern the zombie model.

So I tried some other formats in an attempt to convert in another program, but have also had problems with dxf, obj, lwo, cob, .x file. The problems range frmo not getting uvmapping, to not getting any geometry exported at all, to console errors. You name a format, I’ve tried it and they have all failed in one way or another… am I going mad or is this a major problem with blender?

I appreciate that blender is free, and I love using it from the experience I’ve had so far, but if I can’t find a solution to this problem then I simply cannot use it, and that would be a real shame :frowning:

Is anyone able to lend a hand?!

Cheers,

Steve

I just did a test with povanim export to povray, no problem with uvmapped texture .

thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately

a) I’d much prefer to be able to export to 3ds format
b) I recieve a console error stating that a certain module cannot be found with the pov exporter. I believe this may be due to not having installed and set the python directory which I am looking into.

Again, I hate to be picky, but with 3ds being such a commonly used file format I’m surprised there are no working exporters around. I’m quite sure the problem is with the exporter as I tried exporting a simply modified cube, and even that failed to render properly. I wonder if the problem might be solved by using an older version of blender? I’ve tried a couple of them, but with so many older builds, it’s hard work going through them all!

Any further help would be much appreciated,

thanks,

Steve

You can try the original script by Reevan McCay :
http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/scripts_python/snippets/