Black artifacts

I am stumped on an issue of black areas that are showing up in my modeling. Usually they occur near corners of my objects. Maybe it’s something simple I am missing because I am new to blender, but I’m so frustrated at this moment I feel like giving up.

My lighting is using HDRI images in the world settings. And for some reason, these black splotches are pretty much 100% black. I tried changing maps and rotating them, but it makes no difference at all.

I just don’t get it. The more I model the more they show up in places. It is opposite the problem I expected to have. Usually I hear of getting fire-flies and pixels that are too bright show up, but this is 100% the opposite so I don’t know…

Black like this usually means you have normals pointing in the wrong direction.

This usually happens when you apply a bump map that is too strong or have imported an object and the face normals are flipped.

its an issue with glossy, refraction and transparent. not much you can do.

try turning up the bounces or mix some roughness or diffuse in there.

make sure you arent trying to smooth sharp angles.

Always upload an example .blend. No point in guessing what causes it when the answer definitely is in your file, and the file also helps to write a reply.

Black like this usually means you have normals pointing in the wrong direction.

I’m using SVG items I imported, or for the square I just took a bezier curve and sharped it into a square. It is beveled and not even converted into a mesh. I did try converting it into a mesh as a test, and it made no difference.

not much you can do.

Not quite what I wanted to hear. With limitations like this I may switch to another modeler.

try turning up the bounces or mix some roughness or diffuse in there.

Turning up the bounces in the skylight, or some other area in blender? I’m willing to try anything if I can remove these artifacts.

Anything other than finally uploading your .blend file, you mean?
Please ALWAYS supply an example .blend file with any support question. All your answers are in there.

I just tried to re-do the scene. Same issue comes back. Seems if I reduce the shader value from metallic to non-metallic I can minimize the effect. But I want to really keep high metallic values and simply solve this blackness issue.

Attachments

Troubleshoot.blend (865 KB)

It’s caused by smooth shading over high angle edges. Need to control the shading. There’s no auto smooth option for curves so the only way to cut the shading on high angle edges is with the edge split modifier. Alternatively could disable smooth shading since it’s simple geometry.

Thank you so much Ja12.

I have been able to cut down my issues at least 90% with this. There is a little black left over in places, but I can get it down to very small and manageable levels.

I would also like to thank JA12.

I googled this problem and this answer was the first that worked.
I disabled Active Spline / Smooth and my corners had no more black marks.